Since saturated solutions are equilibriums....

• Thread starter TT0
  • Start date
In summary, a saturated solution is a solution in which the maximum amount of solute has been dissolved and any additional solute will not dissolve, creating a state of equilibrium between the dissolved solute and the undissolved solute. This equilibrium is reached when the rate of dissolution of the solute is equal to the rate of precipitation of the solute. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances can affect the equilibrium of a saturated solution. A saturated solution differs from an unsaturated solution in that it contains the maximum amount of solute, while an unsaturated solution contains less than the maximum amount. A saturated solution can also be supersaturated, but these solutions are unstable and can easily be disrupted, causing the excess
TT0
Since saturated solutions are equilibriums, why does adding more salt into the solution not increase the amount of dissolved salt? Le Chatelier's principle state that if there is a change in a equilibrium, the equilibrium moves to counteract the change. I know my statement is wrong but I don't know why because it fits with the principle fine (I think).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Activity of the solid is always 1, it doesn't depend on the solid amount.

Likes TT0
I see thanks

Related to Since saturated solutions are equilibriums....

1. What is a saturated solution?

A saturated solution is a solution in which the maximum amount of solute has been dissolved and any additional solute will not dissolve. This creates a state of equilibrium between the dissolved solute and the undissolved solute in the solution.

2. How does a saturated solution reach equilibrium?

A saturated solution reaches equilibrium when the rate of dissolution of the solute is equal to the rate of precipitation of the solute. This means that the amount of solute being dissolved is equal to the amount of solute being formed from the dissolved solute.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a saturated solution?

The temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances can all affect the equilibrium of a saturated solution. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium and either increase or decrease the solubility of the solute.

4. How does a saturated solution differ from an unsaturated solution?

A saturated solution contains the maximum amount of solute that can be dissolved, while an unsaturated solution contains less than the maximum amount of solute. This means that an unsaturated solution is not at equilibrium and can still dissolve more solute.

5. Can a saturated solution be supersaturated?

Yes, a saturated solution can be supersaturated if the solute is dissolved at a higher temperature and then allowed to cool, resulting in a higher concentration of solute than would normally be possible at that temperature. However, supersaturated solutions are unstable and can easily be disrupted, causing the excess solute to precipitate out of the solution.