Equilibrium Position - Effect of Dilution

In summary: E In summary, the equilibrium ratio of [I3-] to [I2] is 2.00×10-2 mol of I2 to 1.00 L of 2.00×10-1 M KI solution.
salman213
Iodine is sparingly soluble in pure water. However, it does `dissolve' in solutions containing excess iodide ion because of the following reaction:

I-(aq) + I2(aq) I3-(aq) K = 710 L/mol
For each of the following cases calculate the equilbrium ratio of [I3-] to [I2]:

2.00×10-2 mol of I2 is added to 1.00 L of 2.00×10-1 M KI solution.

I did this question using the ICE table and got the RIGHT answer of

1.28×10^2

but now the SECOND part asked.. same thing but

The solution above is diluted to 5.50 L.

How do i approach this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
nevermind i got it :)

did you re-use the value you found?

not really, i just made did the following

C1V1=C2V2
(2.00×10-1 M)(1.00 L) = C2(5.50L)

solved for c2 and then

2.00×10-2 mol of I2 is added to 5.50 L of C2 KI solution.

then again did ICE table and solved at equilibrium.. then did the same thing as part a to find ratio of I3 to I2 at equilibrium

Same question

I have the same question but with different numbers
can you show me how to solve it

8.00×10-2 mol of I2 is added to 1.00 L of 8.00×10-1 M KI solution.

The solution above is diluted to 13.00 L.

[tex]M_{1} \times V_{1} = M_{2} \times V_{2}[/tex]

solve for final Molarity

yea just solve for molarity first

(8.00x10^-1)(1.00L) = (c2)(13.00)

solve for c2 now ur new question is

8.00×10-2 mol of I2 is added to 13.00 L of c2 M KI solution.

make Ice table now so u have
...I-(aq)...I2(aq)...I3-(aq)
I...0.08/13...c2....0
C...-x....-x...x
E

x
--------------------- = k(watever k value ur given)
((0.08/13)-x)((c2) - x)

solve for ur x using quadratic formula or if ur lazy find one online and just type in a,b and c values to find x, then plug back into get
I3:I2

I3...x
-- = --------------
I2...c2-x

Last edited:

Related to Equilibrium Position - Effect of Dilution

What is the equilibrium position?

The equilibrium position is the point at which the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction no longer change with time. It is a dynamic state where the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates.

How does dilution affect the equilibrium position?

Dilution is the process of adding solvent to a solution, which decreases the concentration of solutes. In a chemical reaction, dilution shifts the equilibrium position towards the side with more moles of solute. This is because the diluted solution has a higher volume, which leads to a decrease in the concentration of all species, including the reactants and products.

Does dilution always shift the equilibrium position in the same direction?

No, the effect of dilution on the equilibrium position depends on the nature of the chemical reaction. In some cases, dilution can shift the equilibrium towards the reactants, while in others it can shift it towards the products. It ultimately depends on the stoichiometry and the equilibrium constant of the reaction.

Can the equilibrium position be restored after dilution?

Yes, the equilibrium position can be restored after dilution by changing other factors such as temperature or pressure. By altering these conditions, the equilibrium will shift back towards the original position. Alternatively, more reactants or products can be added to the solution to restore the equilibrium position.

What is the significance of understanding the effect of dilution on equilibrium position?

Understanding the effect of dilution on equilibrium position is important in many areas of science, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It allows us to predict how a reaction will be affected by changes in concentration and how to manipulate the equilibrium position to achieve desired outcomes. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as drug development, agriculture, and waste management.