Equivalence Relations on {0, 1, 2, 3}: Understanding Reflexivity and Properties

In summary, the relation given in a) is not an equivalence relation because it is not reflexive. To be reflexive, every element in the set must be related to itself, which is not the case in this relation. The concept of reflexivity in relations may be confusing, but it means that for every element in the set, there must be a corresponding ordered pair in the relation. In the specific case of this relation, the ordered pair (1,1) is missing, making it not reflexive.
hammonjj

Homework Statement

Which of these relations on {0, 1, 2, 3} are equivalence relations? Determine the properties of an equivalence relation that the others lack

a) { (0,0), (0,2), (2,0), (2,2), (2,3), (3,2), (3,3) }

This one is not reflexive

Homework Equations

I understand that reflective means a=a, but I don't understand how this one isn't. I think the real issue here is that I obviously don't understand exactly what reflexive really means.

Any help would be GREAT as I have an exam tomorrow morning and this is proving to be more difficult than I expected.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the relation R to be reflexive, you must have aRa for all a in {0, 1, 2, 3}.

vela said:
For the relation R to be reflexive, you must have aRa for all a in {0, 1, 2, 3}.

I apologize, but can you spell it out for me? I guess I don't understand why (1,1) is the problem, but not (1,0) and (0,1).

Thanks!

Do you understand what the ordered pair (1,0) means in the context of relations?

vela said:
Do you understand what the ordered pair (1,0) means in the context of relations?

I think it means, in order to me an Equivalence Relation, there must also exist (0,1). Correct?

Why would it mean that?

hammonjj said:

Homework Statement

Which of these relations on {0, 1, 2, 3} are equivalence relations? Determine the properties of an equivalence relation that the others lack

a) { (0,0), (0,2), (2,0), (2,2), (2,3), (3,2), (3,3) }

This one is not reflexive

Homework Equations

I understand that reflective means a=a, but I don't understand how this one isn't. I think the real issue here is that I obviously don't understand exactly what reflexive really means.

Any help would be GREAT as I have an exam tomorrow morning and this is proving to be more difficult than I expected.

As an exercise, try finding the smallest set containing the above, which is also an equivalence relation. This idea, the completion of a set, is a pervasive one in advanced maths.

Let ##a, b \in X## and ##R \subset X\times X##. When you say ##(a,b)\in R##, it means aRb, that is, a is related to b.

For a relation R to be reflexive, you must have that for every element a in X, aRa or, in ordered-pair notation, ##(a,a) \in R##. Do you see now why your problem's R isn't reflexive?

hammonjj said:

Reflexive doesn't mean a = a. The equality is a relation of equivalence, but a relation of equivalence need not be "=".

Reflexive means "if a is in the set, then (a, a) must be in the relation". 1 is in the set. Is (1, 1) in the relation?

Related to Equivalence Relations on {0, 1, 2, 3}: Understanding Reflexivity and Properties

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between elements of a set. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that for any elements a, b, and c in the set, a is related to itself (reflexive), if a is related to b, then b is related to a (symmetric), and if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is related to c (transitive).

2. How is an equivalence relation different from other types of relations?

An equivalence relation is different from other types of relations because it satisfies all three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Other types of relations, such as partial orders or strict orders, may only satisfy some of these properties.

3. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include: "is equal to" in mathematics, "is the same age as" in a group of people, and "is congruent to" in geometry. In each of these examples, the relation satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

4. How are equivalence relations useful in mathematics and science?

Equivalence relations are useful in mathematics and science because they allow us to group elements together based on certain properties. This can help us to simplify problems and make calculations easier. For example, in graph theory, equivalence relations can be used to identify connected components in a graph.

5. Can two equivalence relations be combined to form a new equivalence relation?

Yes, two equivalence relations can be combined to form a new equivalence relation. This is known as the intersection of two equivalence relations. The new relation will have all the properties of an equivalence relation, and the elements that are related under the new relation will be the elements that are related under both of the original relations.