Equivalence relation (geometry)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equivalence relation on ##\mathbb{R}^2## and determining the equivalence classes of certain points. The equivalence classes are represented by circles centered at the origin with radii determined by the points' coordinates.
Lee33

Homework Statement

Let ##\mathbb{R}^2 = \{Q = (a,b) | a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}##. Prove that if ##q_1 = (a_1,b_1)## and ##q_2=(a_2,b_2)## are equivalent, meaning ##a_1^2+b_1^2 = a_2^2 +b_2^2##, then this gives an equivalence relation on ##\mathbb{R}^2##. What is ##[(1,0)], [(0,1)],[(2,2)],[(0,0)]?## What does an equivalence class look like?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do the first part with the equivalence relation but I am not sure how to do the second part of the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##\mathbb{R}^2 = \{Q = (a,b) | a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}##. Prove that if ##q_1 = (a_1,b_1)## and ##q_2=(a_2,b_2)## are equivalent, meaning ##a_1^2+b_1^2 = a_2^2 +b_2^2##, then this gives an equivalence relation on ##\mathbb{R}^2##. What is ##[(1,0)], [(0,1)],[(2,2)],[(0,0)]?## What does an equivalence class look like?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do the first part with the equivalence relation but I am not sure how to do the second part of the question?

I'm not sure what you are asking about. I assume [(0,1)] means the equivalence class of (0,1). What does that look like?

Yes, it is the equivalence class but I don't understand how it looks like. Is it just a unit circle?

Lee33 said:
Yes, it is the equivalence class but I don't understand how it looks like. Is it just a unit circle?

Well, yes. If (x,y) is related to (0,1) then x^2+y^2=0^2+1^2=1. That's the equation of the unit circle.

Gotcha and that goes for (1,0) which will be a circle centered at 0 with radius 1 and how about (2,2)?

Lee33 said:
Gotcha and that goes for (1,0) which will be a circle centered at 0 with radius 1 and how about (2,2)?

It's pretty similar to the other one, isn't it? You tell me what kind of circle it is.

I understand now. Thanks for the help!

Related to Equivalence relation (geometry)

1. What is an equivalence relation in geometry?

An equivalence relation in geometry is a relation between geometric objects that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that any geometric object is considered equivalent to itself, any two objects that are equivalent to each other can be interchanged without changing the properties of the overall system, and the equivalence relation can be applied repeatedly to a series of equivalent objects.

2. How is an equivalence relation different from an equality relation in geometry?

An equivalence relation is a stronger condition than an equality relation. In an equivalence relation, the objects are considered equal in a broader sense, taking into account their overall properties and not just their specific measurements. For example, two triangles with different side lengths can still be considered equivalent if they have the same angles.

3. What are some examples of equivalence relations in geometry?

Some common examples of equivalence relations in geometry include congruence, similarity, and parallelism. In congruence, two geometric figures have the same shape and size, while in similarity, two figures have the same shape but possibly different sizes. Parallelism refers to lines or planes that never intersect.

4. How are equivalence relations used in geometry?

Equivalence relations are used to simplify geometric proofs and make generalizations about geometric objects. By identifying equivalent objects, mathematicians can reduce the number of cases they need to consider when proving a theorem. This allows for more elegant and concise proofs.

5. Can an equivalence relation exist between geometric objects of different dimensions?

Yes, an equivalence relation can exist between geometric objects of different dimensions. For example, a line and a point can be considered equivalent in terms of their position in space. Similarly, a 2D shape and a 3D shape can be considered equivalent if they have the same shape and proportions, but differ in size.