Equilibrium System: Experiment 5 - Study of Chromate/Dichromate Ions

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a grade 12 university prep Chemistry experiment on equilibrium and specifically the varying concentrations of hydrogen ions on the equilibrium system for chromate/dichromate ions. They have read through notes but are still confused and are looking for someone who has done the lab before or is willing to help them work through it. They will provide more information and specific difficulties/questions if someone is interested in helping.
kaleykmytarvt
Hey everyone!
I am new here and I need MAJOR help on an experiment. It's grade 12 university prep Chemistry course that I am doing via correspondance. Basically I have read through equillibirum notes (Like 20 pages worth and I am VERY confused). I get the basic idea but am still haveing a tough time-I have this simulated lab and I need help. It is rather long but I was wondering if someone has done this lab before or if they were willing to help me work through it ...?
The experiment is called: "Experiment 5: A study of an equilibrium system"
and the purpose is to study the varying concentrations of the hydrogen ion on the equilibrium system for chromate/dichromate ions.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in helping me--It has been quite a while since high school chem so be patient with me :redface:

I will post more info if someone is willing to help

Physics news on Phys.org
Go ahead and post all the relevant details, your thoughts/attempt at solving the problem, and whatever specific difficulties/questions you have. There are many of us here that can help you with this.

Dear student,

I am happy to help you with your experiment on the study of chromate/dichromate ions. Equilibrium systems can be complex, but with the right guidance, you will be able to understand and complete this experiment successfully.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of equilibrium in a chemical system. In simple terms, equilibrium is a state in which the forward and reverse reactions occur at the same rate, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of the reactants and products. In your experiment, you will be studying the equilibrium between chromate and dichromate ions, which involves a redox reaction.

To begin, make sure you have a clear understanding of the experiment's purpose and the concepts of redox reactions and equilibrium. Next, carefully read through the instructions and materials provided for the experiment. It is also helpful to draw a diagram of the experimental setup to visualize the process.

In this experiment, you will be varying the concentration of the hydrogen ion, which is a key component in the equilibrium system of chromate and dichromate ions. As you change the concentration of the hydrogen ion, the equilibrium will shift to maintain a balance between the reactants and products. This will allow you to observe the changes in the color and concentration of the solution, which can be used to determine the equilibrium constant, Kc.

To obtain reliable results, it is important to follow the experimental procedure carefully and accurately measure the concentrations of the solutions. Remember to record all your data and observations in a clear and organized manner.

If you encounter any difficulties during the experiment, do not hesitate to reach out for help. You can consult your notes, textbook, or online resources for additional explanations. It is also helpful to discuss the experiment with your peers or a teacher to gain a better understanding.

I hope this helps you with your experiment. Good luck!

Related to Equilibrium System: Experiment 5 - Study of Chromate/Dichromate Ions

1. What is an equilibrium system?

An equilibrium system is a state in which the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical reaction are occurring at the same rate, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products.

2. What is the purpose of Experiment 5 - Study of Chromate/Dichromate Ions?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe and study the equilibrium system between chromate and dichromate ions in a solution, and to determine the equilibrium constant for the reaction.

3. What is the role of chromate and dichromate ions in this equilibrium system?

Chromate and dichromate ions are both forms of chromium, which can exist in different oxidation states. In this equilibrium system, chromate ions (CrO42-) can be converted to dichromate ions (Cr2O72-) and vice versa, depending on the conditions of the reaction.

4. How is the equilibrium constant determined in this experiment?

The equilibrium constant (Keq) is determined by measuring the absorbance of the solution at different concentrations of chromate and dichromate ions. This data is then used to calculate the equilibrium concentrations of the ions and the equilibrium constant using the Beer-Lambert Law and the equilibrium expression.

5. What factors affect the equilibrium constant in this system?

The equilibrium constant is affected by temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of the reactants and products. In this system, changes in pH can also affect the equilibrium constant, as it can alter the ratio of chromate to dichromate ions present in the solution.