Work done by friction force on an object?

In summary, the book claims a force of -200 J is needed to move a crate along a horizontal floor, but online sources claim a force of 60 J is needed. This discrepancy may be due to the different gravity values used in the two calculations.
bluetriangle
I'm using a review book to study for physics but I don't understand how this answer was obtained. I got a different answer. When I googled the exact same question, I found a website that got the same answer as me... so is the book wrong? The question is as follows:

1. Homework Statement

A 15 kg crate is moved along a horizontal floor by a warehouse worker who's pulling on it with a rope that makes a 30 degree angle with the horizontal. The tension in the rope is 200 N and the crate slides a distance of 10 m. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and floor is 0.4, how much work is done by the friction force?

The book uses 10 m/s² for gravity so for the sake of matching answers, I will too.

Homework Equations

W = Frcosθ

μ = Ff/Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram. The only forces acting in the x-direction (direction of the displacement of the crate and therefore what is important to look at when solving for work) are Ftensionx (or Ftx) and Ff.

I know that Ftx = cos30 * 200 = 173.2 N
I know that Ff = μFn = μmg = 0.4*15*10 = 60 (I know Fn = Fg because the crate does not move in the y-direction)
I know that θ = 180 because Ff and the direction of displacement are antiparallel

W = Frcosθ = Ffrcosθ = 60*10*cos180 = -600 J

However, the book says -200 J
Am I doing this wrong?
Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a problem with your friction force. The force applied by the rope has two components, a horizontal one (which you got) and a vertical one. In which direction does this vertical component act on the crate? What does this do to the normal force which determines the friction force?

gneill said:
There's a problem with your friction force. The force applied by the rope has two components, a horizontal one (which you got) and a vertical one. In which direction does this vertical component act on the crate? What does this do to the normal force which determines the friction force?

I don't understand exactly... The vertical force of the rope is pulling it upwards, combined with Ftx to pull it at an angle. But it doesn't do any work on the crate, correct? Because the crate is not moving vertically, only horizontally. That's why I only paid attention to the forces acting in the x-direction.

I thought Fn = Fg no matter what (if there is no movement in the y-direction) so I'm not connecting how Fty affects Ff.

bluetriangle said:
I thought Fn = Fg no matter what (if there is no movement in the y-direction) so I'm not connecting how Fty affects Ff.
No movement in the y direction tells you the forces balance in that direction, but Fn and Fg are only two of the three forces acting.

Oh! I see it now.

In the y-direction: Fn + Fty - Fg = 0
Fn = Fg - Fty = mg - mgsinθ
Fn = 50 (not 150)

So:
Ff = 50 * 0.4
Ff = 20 N

W = Frcosθ = 20*10*cos180 = -200 J

Yay thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it :)

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is a resistive force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other. It opposes the motion of an object and is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surfaces.

2. How is work done by friction force calculated?

The work done by friction force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This is represented by the equation W = F * d.

3. Can friction force do positive work?

No, friction force always does negative work because it acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. This means that it takes energy away from the object and converts it into heat or sound.

4. How does the type of surface affect the work done by friction force?

The type of surface can affect the work done by friction force because different surfaces have different levels of roughness. A rougher surface will have a higher friction force and will do more work on an object compared to a smoother surface.

5. Is the work done by friction force always the same?

No, the work done by friction force can vary depending on the force of friction, the distance the object moves, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion. It can also be affected by factors such as the weight and speed of the object.