Horizontal Force to Hold Pendulum Perpendicular

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a horizontal force to a pendulum in order to maintain a specific angle. The formula tan(theta) = FH/mg is used to determine the angle, and it is noted that this angle will always be less than 90 degrees due to the force of gravity. It is also mentioned that shaping the pendulum as a wing could potentially allow for it to reach 90 degrees, but the wind would have to change direction in order for this to happen.
derek88
Friends:

Recently I got this problem: what sustained horizontal wind pressure/force is needed to make a pendulum swing up and stay at a certain angle?

To solve this problem, I imagined applying a horizontal force FH to the bob (of mass "m"). I learned that the angle that the pendulum makes with the vertical (denoted as "theta") is found by solving:

tan (theta) = FH / mg

Is this correct? Does this mean that a sustained force of FH will keep the pendulum at the angle theta? Because the equation seems to imply that you need an infinite FH to make the pendulum horizontal, i.e. theta = 90 degrees. Weird...?

Likes Fiz
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if theta = 90 degrees, then tan (theta) is infinite which suggests that the wind speed required would also have to be infinite.
In reality, there is no windspeed that would make the pendulum line horizontal. The angle will always be less than 90 degrees because gravity is always pulling down on the bob.

• Sad
Likes Fiz
Electrical wires are also NEVER horizontal. They always droop. Even a taught string, though it appears perfectly straight, isn't. There has to be a vertical component to the force holding it up, and that vertical somponent comes from the angle.

• Skeptical
Likes Fiz
derek88 said:
Friends:

Recently I got this problem: what sustained horizontal wind pressure/force is needed to make a pendulum swing up and stay at a certain angle?

To solve this problem, I imagined applying a horizontal force FH to the bob (of mass "m"). I learned that the angle that the pendulum makes with the vertical (denoted as "theta") is found by solving:

tan (theta) = FH / mg

Is this correct? Does this mean that a sustained force of FH will keep the pendulum at the angle theta? Because the equation seems to imply that you need an infinite FH to make the pendulum horizontal, i.e. theta = 90 degrees. Weird...?

You can allways shape the mass as a wing so the passing wind makes sub-pressure above it in order to lift the mass the last degrees until the pendulum rest at 90 degrees. However, that will also mean that the wind change direction when passing the mass/wing - meaning the wind will not move stright horizontal, but slightly downwards around the wing.

Vidar

Likes Fiz

I would like to provide a response to this content by saying that the equation provided is indeed correct. The angle that the pendulum makes with the vertical is determined by the ratio of the horizontal force applied to the weight of the pendulum. This means that a sustained force of FH will indeed keep the pendulum at a certain angle theta. However, it is important to note that there are other factors that may affect the pendulum's movement, such as air resistance and the length of the pendulum's string. Additionally, the force required to hold the pendulum at a specific angle may vary depending on the initial conditions and the environment in which the pendulum is placed. It is always important to consider all variables and factors when solving scientific problems.

Related to Horizontal Force to Hold Pendulum Perpendicular

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that can freely swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

What is the horizontal force required to hold a pendulum perpendicular?

The horizontal force required to hold a pendulum perpendicular is zero. This is because the force of gravity acting on the pendulum's weight is what keeps it swinging in a straight line, perpendicular to the pivot point.

Why is it important to keep a pendulum perpendicular?

Keeping a pendulum perpendicular is important because it ensures that the pendulum's motion remains consistent and predictable. If the pendulum is not kept perpendicular, it may start to swing in an erratic or unpredictable manner.

How do you calculate the horizontal force needed to hold a pendulum perpendicular?

The horizontal force needed to hold a pendulum perpendicular can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the pendulum's weight, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the pendulum's weight and the vertical line.

How does the length of a pendulum affect the required horizontal force?

The length of a pendulum does not affect the required horizontal force to hold it perpendicular. The only factors that affect the force are the mass of the pendulum's weight and the angle between the weight and the vertical line.