Equation of a Line Passing Through (-3, 4) and Parallel to the Y-Axis

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for your help.In summary, the line through (-3, 4) and parallel to the y-axis has got to be x = -3.
mathdad
Find an equation of the line passing through (-3, 4) and
parallel to the y-axis. Express final answer in the forms
y = mx + b and Ax + By + C = 0.

I think the line has got to be x = -3.

How do I write the final answer in the two requested forms given above?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find an equation of the line passing through (-3, 4) and
parallel to the y-axis. Express final answer in the forms
y = mx + b and Ax + By + C = 0.

I am think that the line has got to be x = -3.
Yes.

RTCNTC said:
How do I write the final answer in the two requested forms given above?
It's impossible to express this equation in the form y = mx + b. This form represents a function y(x), and the line in question is not the graph of any function y(x) because one x corresponds to all possible y's rather than just one y. Concerning the form Ax + By + C = 0, I don't see the difficulty. (You have not forgotten how to move terms from one side of an equation to the other, have you?) Keep in mind that some of A, B and C can be zeros. The only restriction for it to be the equation of a line is that both A and B should not be zeros simultaneously.

Ok. For x = -3, I got the following general equation of a line:

3x + 0B + C = 0

Correct?

RTCNTC said:
Ok. For x = -3, I got the following general equation of a line:

3x + 0B + C = 0

Correct?

Let's begin with:

\(\displaystyle x=-3\)

To write this in the form Ax + By + C = 0, we want the RHS to be 0, so add 3 to both sides:

\(\displaystyle x+3=0\)

Since there is no "y" term on the LHS, we may add 0y to it:

\(\displaystyle x+0y+3=0\)

or:

\(\displaystyle 1x+0y+3=0\)

We see then that:

\(\displaystyle (A,B,C)=(1,0,3)\)

Let x = -a

Then in general we can write it as x + a = 0.

We can also write x + 0y + a = 0 or 1x + 0y + a = 0.

Correct?

RTCNTC said:
Let x = -a

Then in general we can write it as x + a = 0.

We can also write x + 0y + a = 0 or 1x + 0y + a = 0.

Correct?

Yes, indeed. :D

I am not close to where most tutors are in terms of math in this website but I definitely have learned a lot.

1. How do I find an equation for a given data set?

To find an equation for a data set, you can use a variety of methods such as linear regression, polynomial regression, or curve fitting. These methods involve analyzing the data and finding a mathematical relationship that best fits the data points.

2. What is the importance of finding an equation for a data set?

Finding an equation for a data set allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of the data. It also helps in making informed decisions and identifying patterns in the data that might not be visible at first glance.

3. Can I use any type of equation for any data set?

No, the type of equation used depends on the type of data and the relationship between the variables. For example, linear equations are suitable for data sets with a linear relationship, while polynomial equations are suitable for data sets with a curved relationship.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding an equation for a data set?

Some common mistakes include choosing an incorrect type of equation for the data, not considering all the data points, and not checking for outliers. It is important to carefully analyze the data and consider all factors before choosing an equation.

5. Are there any software or tools that can help with finding an equation for a data set?

Yes, there are many statistical software and tools available that can help with finding an equation for a data set. Some popular options include Excel, R, and Python. These tools have built-in functions and algorithms for regression analysis and curve fitting.