Epsilon-delta definition and continuity at a point

In summary, the task is to show that the equation f(y) = \sqrt[3]{y+3} is continuous at y = -2 using the epsilon-delta definition. The attempt at a solution involves finding a number \delta that satisfies the condition |f(y) - f(-2)| < \epsilon for any given \epsilon > 0. This can be achieved by manipulating the inequality (-\epsilon + 1)^3 < y + 2 < (\epsilon + 1)^3 -1 and choosing a suitable \delta based on this.
jameswill1am

Homework Statement

Show that the following equation is continuous using the epsilon-delta definition at y=-2

Homework Equations

[tex]\f(y)=\sqrt[3]{y+3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got to a stage where;

[tex]\frac{1}{\left|\left(\sqrt[3]{y+3}\right)^{2}+\sqrt[3]{y+3}+1\right|}\times\left|y-c\right|[/tex]

but this is where i always get stuck on these things. I just don't know where to start with picking my delta. If anyone could explain the best way of going about it that would be very helpful.

Thanks

p.s. i didn't type out the whole extent of my solution so far. Hopefully its ok so far but let me know if that bit is wrong as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
I revised your LaTeX so that it would render as you wanted it to.
jameswill1am said:

Homework Statement

Show that the following equation is continuous using the epsilon-delta definition at y=-2

Homework Equations

[tex]f(y)=\sqrt[3]{y+3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so i got to a stage where;

[tex]\frac{1}{\left|\left(\sqrt[3]{y+3}\right)^{2}+\sqrt[3]{y+3}+1\right|}\times\left|y-c\right|[/tex]

but this is where i always get stuck on these things. I just don't know where to start with picking my delta. If anyone could explain the best way of going about it that would be very helpful.

Thanks

p.s. i didn't type out the whole extent of my solution so far. Hopefully its ok so far but let me know if that bit is wrong as well.

I think I understand what you're doing, with the idea being that (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2) = a3 - b3. I tried a different approach that I think will work.

I'm assuming you want to show that [tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow -2} f(y) - f(-2) = 0[/tex]

This means you want to show that for any [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0 there is a number [itex]\delta[/itex] > 0 such that |f(y) - f(-2)| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex] when |x - (-2)| < [itex]\delta[/itex]
So given such an [itex]\epsilon[/itex], we want
[tex]|(y + 3)^{1/3} - 1| < \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]-\epsilon + 1 < (y + 3)^{1/3} < \epsilon + 1[/tex]
[tex](-\epsilon + 1)^3 < y + 3 < (\epsilon + 1)^3[/tex]
[tex](-\epsilon + 1)^3 - 1 < y + 2 < (\epsilon + 1)^3 -1[/tex]

All that's left is to figure out what you need to use for your [itex]\delta[/itex].

Related to Epsilon-delta definition and continuity at a point

1. What is the Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity at a point?

The Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity at a point is a mathematical concept used to define the continuity of a function at a specific point. It states that a function f(x) is continuous at a point x=a if for any positive number ε, there exists a positive number δ such that when the distance between x and a is less than δ, the distance between f(x) and f(a) is less than ε.

2. How is the Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity used?

The Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity is used to mathematically prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. It allows us to determine whether a function is continuous or not by analyzing its behavior at a single point.

3. What is the significance of the Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity?

The Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity is significant because it provides a rigorous and precise way to define continuity at a point. It allows us to prove the continuity of a function mathematically and is a fundamental concept used in advanced calculus and analysis.

4. Can the Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Epsilon-Delta definition of continuity can be extended to higher dimensions. In this case, the distance between points is measured using the Euclidean distance formula, and the definition states that a function is continuous at a point if for any positive number ε, there exists a positive number δ such that when the distance between the input points is less than δ, the distance between the output points is less than ε.

5. Are there any alternative definitions of continuity at a point?

Yes, there are other alternative definitions of continuity at a point, such as the sequential definition and the limit definition. However, the Epsilon-Delta definition is considered the most rigorous and widely used in mathematics.