EPA says Volkswagen installed software to cheat on emissions

In summary: This could be a much bigger problem.In summary, Volkswagen admitted to cheating U.S. air pollution tests by turning off pollution controls during normal driving. The company could face billions in fines and possible criminal prosecution.
russ_watters said:
They paid for something they did not receive: a clean burning diesel engine (it is called the "clean diesel"). That's one of VW's major marketing points. A feature that sets them apart from other cars.
Or, alternatively, VW is made to recall and remove the emissions defeat software, turning the peppy little car into an old style, low torque diesel slug, and no doubt grounds for a law suit by owners.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
Or, alternatively, VW is made to recall and remove the emissions defeat software, turning the peppy little into an old style, low torque diesel slug, and no doubt grounds for a law suit by owners.

Ah yes, THEN they'd truly have standing! :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
flout not flaunt.

:biggrin:
grammar-police-badge.png
Actually, it's not grammar. It's diction. :devil:

Likes Imager and DaveC426913
"When the cars are being driven, the steering column vibrates and the deNOx parts of the catalytic converter were not turned on. Urea was not sprayed into the exhaust pathway, and the feedback loop necessary for proper NSR was probably not turned on either. When the car was being smog tested, the steering column was stationary and the catalytic converter was turned on."
"I’m also sort of dumbfounded that TDI owners didn’t notice that they never needed to fill their SCR tank, but perhaps VW just told them that it would not need to be filled very often."
http://oldbiddyblogging.blogspot.se/2015/09/a-catalyst-chemists-viewpoint-on-vw.html

Indeed, VW told customers that AdBlue was typically something that only was needed at maintenance service. The tank holds about 20 liters. This is suspiciously low if one compares to what others use: about 5 % of the fuel consumption. Customers do not like to add this:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/12_month_car_reviews/1301_2012_volkswagen_passat_se_tdi_january_update/

Many of the TDIs sold did not use AdBlue at all. So there is nothing to be suspicious about its use.

Likes nsaspook
Vanadium 50 said:
The emissions testing could easily check to see which software version the engine is running.
o:) Ah yes. That would be the simpliest solution.

"Your mileage will vary."
Borg said:
o:) Ah yes. That would be the simpliest solution.

Simple version of software checks are much too easy to fudge with a hack this good until trust in VW is restored. Random operational test conditions with a external certified ECM (non-VW) monitor piggybacked on the original ECM system is what caught them and that's just about the only system in the beginning I would trust.
http://www.theicct.org/sites/defaul...WVU_LDDV_in-use_ICCT_Report_Final_may2014.pdf

Last edited:
How about a database of who has had their software upgraded (participated in the recall)?

russ_watters said:
How about a database of who has had their software upgraded (participated in the recall)?
I was thinking about that in post 20 but kept coming up with various issues. The main one being that each state has it's own software that would have to be updated to access the database.

russ_watters said:

The problem is the code is in the wild and nothing will get it back. In states with little or no car testing the update compliance will be low. The market for used VW ECM modules and third party hacks will skyrocket in states where people are forced to update. I haven't run the numbers but the value in keeping the cheat over the lifetime of the car must be in the thousands for a owner that drives a lot so an incentive plan (paid by VW) that matches that amount in exchange for mandatory extra random monitoring might work.

Likes PietKuip
nsaspook said:
The problem is...
Not VW's problem any like any hack is not the responsibility of the manufacturer.

russ_watters said:
Not VW's problem any like any hack is not the responsibility of the manufacturer.

Unless they did the hack and admitted to it.

What's that up ahead?

titaniciceberg.jpe

Likes Borg
nsaspook said:
Unless they did the hack and admitted to it.
Huh? Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. VW's big problems right now are:
1. They aren't allowed to sell their diesel cars.
2. A lot of the cars they sold are violating emissions rules.

Until they fix these issues, they are dead as a company. So they need to upgrade the software of some 11 million cars and be able to prove (enable the owners to prove) the cars are compliant. What happens after that is not their concern. If the owners go back and undo the "fix", that isn't VW's problem.

russ_watters said:
Huh? Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. VW's big problems right now are:
1. They aren't allowed to sell their diesel cars.
2. A lot of the cars they sold are violating emissions rules.

Until they fix these issues, they are dead as a company. So they need to upgrade the software of some 11 million cars and be able to prove (enable the owners to prove) the cars are compliant. What happens after that is not their concern. If the owners go back and undo the "fix", that isn't VW's problem.
Normally I would agree but I don't think that would be acceptable in this case due to the level of total mistrust in VW being honest.
The people most upset are members of the enviro crowd who used the TDI as a sign of green. That won't be an easy group to appease.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150924/OEM11/150929883/vws-clean-diesel-promotion-now-looks-like-jon-stewart-gag
Needless to say, many Gen Xers now feel like rubes.

Nikki Medoro, 36, almost bought a Prius when she moved to San Jose, Calif. She wanted to limit the expense and environmental impact of her daily commute to and from San Francisco. A friend at the radio station where Medoro is a news anchor persuaded her to buy a 2012 Jetta diesel sports wagon instead. It was her first Volkswagen. That was 133,323 miles ago.

Feeling duped

“I’ve been their No. 1 fricking fan this whole time,” she said. “I told everyone about my car. I loved my car. Then this happened. I get madder every moment that passes by about this. Every mile of that I was just polluting. I feel so duped.”
After learning that her 2011 diesel Jetta station wagon had turned her into an unwitting uber-polluter, Grabriela Paz, a single mom from Oakland, Calif., knew one thing for sure: “I definitely won’t buy a VW again.”
If they really are thinking about buying back every car affected in the USA instead of a fix. That tells me two things

1: A simple software fix is impossible in the US without turning the car into a driving dud.
2: It's better to limit the damage at great cost than to continue to support the cars here.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/vw-emissions-defeat-device-isnt-first
In 1974, Volkswagen agreed to pay $120,000 to settle a complaint filed by the EPA that the company failed to properly disclose the existence of two devices that modified emissions controls on about 25,000 1973 model VWs, according to a Wall Street Journal report and an EPA press release about the case. The settlement included no admission of wrongdoing by VW, the Journal reported. The devices consisted of two temperature-sensing switches that deactivated part of the emissions control systems, the EPA said.

The EPA said at the time that VW failed to disclose the existence of the devices on its 1973 emissions certification applications. VW did disclose them on a 1974 application, which the EPA rejected, and VW agreed to remove the devices.

phinds said:
Volkswagen could end up going down the tubes if all of the possible fines are actually levied after all the tricked out cars are found all over the world.

This will not occur. Judges are very reluctant to punish industries to such an extent. I can't recall it every having happened.

Borg said:
I was thinking about that in post 20 but kept coming up with various issues. The main one being that each state has it's own software that would have to be updated to access the database.
Sorry I missed that. I really don't see the database idea being an issue though. A service tech at a gas station can simply enter the vin number into a web form and find out if the car has had its recall service performed. It wouldn't have to be done automatically.
nsaspook said:
Normally I would agree but I don't think that would be acceptable in this case due to the level of total mistrust in VW being honest.
I don't see how VW's dishonesty enters into the equation moving forward. Nobody is going to trust VW and they won't have to: they will verify by checking the cars.
If they really are thinking about buying back every car affected in the USA instead of a fix. That tells me two things

1: A simple software fix is impossible in the US without turning the car into a driving dud.
I haven't seen any indication that they are actually considering buying-back the cars, however in researching a bit for that, I did find a significant gap in my understanding of the situation implied by your #1:
Wired said:
The standard way of making a diesel run cleanly is to use selective catalytic reduction, a chemical process that breaks NOx down into nitrogen and water. Part of that process includes adding urea to the mix. The super effective system can eliminate 70 to 90 percent of NOx emissions, and is used by other diesel manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW. The downside is that it adds complication to the system, and cost—$5,000 to $8,000 per car. And you need to periodically add the urea-based solution to your car to keep it working.

The big “advance” from VW was the “clean diesel” technology that supposedly made the whole urea thing unnecessary on its smaller cars...
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/vw-owners-arent-going-like-fixes-diesels/

Well if the VW engines don't use urea, then how, exactly do they do it? Maybe I was wrong above when I said it "works fine". Maybe it "works fine" if you only run it a hundred hours over the lifespan of the car or don't run out of a secret urea stash somewhere? But if there is something fishy about the technology, why don't a whole bunch of people know about it already? Shouldn't VW's technology be patented? Shouldn't the other manufacturers have reverse engineered it? Shouldn't a million gearhead car owners have been suspicious of a system that couldn't possibly work as advertised? Shouldn't 10,000 engineers in the VW drivetrain team realize that their emissions control system they were designing is a black box with nothing in it? This is almost feeling like a perpetual motion machine type hoax!

Wiki on the typical method:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

Likes PietKuip
russ_watters said:
Well if the VW engines don't use urea, then how, exactly do they do it?
Some of the VW cars use urea. There is a link to it on this page: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/diesel
But that link (that I could read earlier today) is gone now... still here: http://web.archive.org/web/20150912083859/http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/diesel/adblue

VW cars used suspiciously little of this. Maybe only enough when the "defeat device", the "switch" was on?
russ_watters said:
This is almost feeling like a perpetual motion machine type hoax!

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
I haven't seen any indication that they are actually considering buying-back the cars, however in researching a bit for that, I did find a significant gap in my understanding of the situation implied by your #1:

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/vw-owners-arent-going-like-fixes-diesels/

Well if the VW engines don't use urea, then how, exactly do they do it? Maybe I was wrong above when I said it "works fine". Maybe it "works fine" if you only run it a hundred hours over the lifespan of the car or don't run out of a secret urea stash somewhere? But if there is something fishy about the technology, why don't a whole bunch of people know about it already? Shouldn't VW's technology be patented? Shouldn't the other manufacturers have reverse engineered it? Shouldn't a million gearhead car owners have been suspicious of a system that couldn't possibly work as advertised? Shouldn't 10,000 engineers in the VW drivetrain team realize that their emissions control system they were designing is a black box with nothing in it? This is almost feeling like a perpetual motion machine type hoax!

Then how, exactly do they do it? They don't and I'm sure that car has been torn apart to the last bolt or wire looking for the magic they used. This fact is the one that makes me believe that this is not a little slice of code but is a very sophisticated and well engineered system on the level that usually only governments can pull off.

The bigger the lie the better it works. Maybe their lie was little too good because the technical information that caught them was done by a group that wanted to prove others could do what VW was selling. My speculation: This is similar to a compartmentalized operational plan where many innocent looking things in isolation are combined for the needed function to happen.

I normally Poo Poo conspiracy theories but sometimes that's where the facts seem to lead. Maybe there's a simple answer to how they did it with everyone overlooking it for years because it was like one almost identical tree in a huge forest of trees.

I'm still waiting for more facts in this fascinating story.

Last edited:
Likes PietKuip
The horse has left the barn - time for the EPA to finally act.
The EPA outlined its plan in a strongly worded letter to car manufacturers on Friday.
the EPA won't be relying solely on vehicles provided by manufacturers for its baseline standards testing anymore. It will now borrow specific models from private citizens and rental companies as well.

the EPA won't be relying solely on vehicles provided by manufacturers for its baseline standards testing anymore. It will now borrow specific models from private citizens and rental companies as well.

That action would not have necessarily helped detect the cheat, as per the reports the software was specifically designed to detect EPA test parameters so that any vehicle off the VW line would have detected the test and and curbed emissions.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, PietKuip and nsaspook
I'm reminded of this prescient comment from GM executive Bob Lutz back in 2007 when GM was justifying its PHEV decision. Lutz contended the EPA's NOx standard, 0.7 g/mile, which causes problems for diesel engines, was six times higher than the EU standard. Technically there was a solution, barely, but it entailed another $2K to $2.8K in costs and lower fuel mileage on the diesel. Together with the pending gasoline engine technology improvements at the time, GM concluded that diesel had no long term efficiency or market advantage.

The large difference between US and EU NOx standards is a bit suspicious. I can speculate on a technical rationale in that the US has nearly double the vehicle ownership rate of the EU, and more cars per city entails more smog per city with other variables constant. Political reasons are also possible via regulatory capture, on both continents. In the EU perhaps NOx standards were kept low at the cost of more smog to advantage EU diesel manufacturers. In the US, perhaps NOx standards have been set unreasonably high to protect US manufacturers from EU diesel imports.

Likes PietKuip
VW emission recall could be the most expensive ever
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-recall-could-be-the-most-expensive-ever-194521326.html

Volkswagen (VOW3.DE) has a much more complicated problem. It hasn’t issued a recall yet for nearly 500,000 turbodiesel models in the U.S. with “defeat devices” that shut down emission controls during normal driving. But it almost certainly will. The government won’t even let VW sell new models with the device until it fixes the problem, which has exploded into a scandal likely to http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sell-sue-stay-put-considerations-153231784.html and possibly criminal prosecution.

VW has already set aside $7.2 billion to deal with recalls, fines, litigation and other costs resulting from what appears to be a deliberate effort to deceive regulators and customers, however, the cost could be twice as much or more.

Meanwhile, VW has promoted the head of Porsche, Matthias Mueller, to CEO of the VW Group.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-names-porsche-chief-mueller-ceo-supervisory-board-170719236.html

Astronuc said:
VW emission recall could be the most expensive ever
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-recall-could-be-the-most-expensive-ever-194521326.html
VW has already set aside $7.2 billion to deal with recalls, fines, litigation and other costs resulting from what appears to be a deliberate effort to deceive regulators and customers, however, the cost could be twice as much or more.

Offer to buy back vehicles. This could be very expensive, but it might be the most thorough way to earn back the trust of VW customers -- and placate regulators. And there’s precedent. Fiat Chrysler (FCAU) recently negotiated a deal with the government involving fire-prone vehicles from 1993 to 1998, which required the automaker to offer to buy the affected vehicles back from customers at market price plus 10%. Other Fiat Chrysler recalls negotiated as part of the same deal include discounts up to $2,000 (on top of any other offers) on new Fiat Chrysler models for owners who trade in one of the qualifying recalled vehicles.

VW must be looking at the cost of the US market vs future liability and the weighting the possibility of a complete US buy back costing less in the long run while they concentrate on the massive EU market problems they have.

I don't think a buy-back would be enough because I don't think you can force people to sell their cars. So the people who choose not to sell still need a car that can meet emissions standards.

Maybe not in all states but in places like California or the NE they can by simply saying 'no registration' for public roads.
If as many believe they designed the cheat to beat the requirement of urea because it's impossible to meet US emissions and efficiency without it they are forced to retrofit (if they can even make a retrofit work and still be compatible with other safety requirements) old cars like a 2009 Jetta with Adblue or urea for $5000 per car plus overhead plus fines. If the buy back cost for older cars is ~$8000 per car + an incentive. I think a deal (on the fines) can be easily justified financially with VW and environmentally with the EPA to get the old cars off the road by effectively banning them.
I'm not in favor of a road ban without the people who were tricked being well paid for it. So you won't have to sell your car but you can't drive it as the unfixed cars were never actually legal for sale with falsified paperwork.

Last edited:
This is the end game for 'Clean Diesel'.

http://www.vw.com/features/clean-diesel/

Likes mheslep, Czcibor and PietKuip
nsaspook said:
This is the end game for 'Clean Diesel'.
http://www.vw.com/features/clean-diesel/
"Efficiency. Now available without compromise.
Hybrids aren’t the only game in town. TDI® Clean Diesel engines offer up impressive efficiency numbers too. Take the Passat TDI for starters. It can go up to 814 miles uninterrupted. Now that’s a game changer."
etcetera...
http://web.archive.org/web/20150816221300/http://www.vw.com/features/clean-diesel/

Likes nsaspook
nsaspook said:
I took a quick look the the hardware. It seems to be a Bosch (The EDC17 from Bosch) unit with the TCL1796 controller. http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/tc1796...fileId=db3a304412b407950112b41bc4972cb1&ack=t

Very complex controller hardware that controls a very complex emissions and engine system.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/09/20150921-vw2l.html

The person(s) who did this had an extreme level of expertise at the code level to build something like this without detection from the outside for so long. I find it hard to believe the design code base for the system was only known at the VW engineering level if they did it. VW might just be the tip of a very large iceberg.
Bosch knew about it as early as 2007, when they wrote a letter to VW. According to Bild am Sonntag, Bosch wrote the software for testing purposes. In 2007 Bosch wrote a letter to VW, telling them that the use that VW intended was against the law. According to Bild, this letter was adressed to the highest management circles.
http://www.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/...1-vor-abgas-manipulationen-42736218.bild.html (in German)

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150927/COPY01/309279989/bosch-warned-vw-about-illegal-software-use-in-diesel-cars-report-says
Bild am Sonntag said the roots of the crisis were planted in 2005 when then-VW brand chief Wolfgang Bernhard wanted VW to develop a new diesel engine for the U.S. market. Bernhard recruited Audi engineer Rudolf Krebs who developed a prototype that performed well in tests in South Africa in 2006, the paper said.

Bernhard and Krebs argued that the only way to make the engine meet U.S. emission standards was to employ in the engine system an AdBlue urea solution used on larger diesel models such as the Passat and Touareg, according to the report.

Likes PietKuip
From a Dutch test report:
"One of the six Euro 6 diesel passenger cars currently in production that was tested in 2015 with EGR and SCR reached average NOx emissions in real-world on-road conditions of around 650 mg/km, even though in laboratory tests all chassis dynamometer measurements – i.e. also during cycles other than the type-approval test – the same vehicle easily satisfied the Euro 6 limit value of 80 mg/km. It is striking that real-world NOx emissions are more than eight times as high as the type-approval limit values. The difference illustrates that the settings for the engine, the EGR, and the SCR during a combined real-world trip are ineffective to achieve low NOx emissions. "
http://content1b.omroep.nl/urishieldv2/l27m1bc98a514f405bfc00560876ac000000.6ddfc991494e5dc6218f136d4d67431e/nos/docs/20150927%20TNO-2015-R10838.pdf

VW facing 'tsunami' of legal trouble in emissions scandal
http://news.yahoo.com/vw-facing-tsunami-legal-trouble-emissions-scandal-114744459.html#

Apparently some German media have reported that "Volkswagen had received warnings years ago about the use of illegal tricks to defeat emissions tests. Bild am Sonntag said VW's internal investigation has found a 2007 letter from parts supplier Bosch warning Volkswagen not to use the software during regular operation. Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung said a Volkswagen technician raised concerns about illegal practices in connection with emissions levels in 2011."

Not a good time for VW.

FB_IMG_1443416488849.jpg

Likes Borg