Engineering Physics vs. Physics

In summary, the speaker is planning on attending university in Canada and is interested in pursuing physics. They are also considering engineering physics as it has good job prospects. They have some concerns about missing out on their interests and whether or not to double major in math and physics. The speaker is also encouraged to research more about engineering and its different fields before making a decision. The decision to double major depends on their goals and may prolong their time in school. The speaker is a student and may not have all the answers.
DeeNos
I am planning on attending university next year (in Canada), and am definately inclined to physics. I am aware of the marketability of having an engineering degree, so i was thinking of eng phys. so i have a few questions:

1. should I be thinking about my interests or how i am going to make a living? i am interested in modern theoretical/particle/experimental physics but feel like i will be missing out on learning some of the things i am most interested in when taking my BEng. am i settling?

2. I have never been great with CAD, and i took woodworking a couple of times but didnt think it was anything crazy. from this i can deduce that traditional engineering would not be for me, but how much does design apply to something tied closely to physics like eng phys?

3. If i do decide to study physics, would it be in my best interest to double major in math and physics if i wanted to keep my options open in the multifaceted field of physics? i am most interested in particle/nuclear physics

thanks for the time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not saying that you should choose engineering; however, i would suggest reading up a bit more on what engineers actually do. Once you have a clear idea of what an engineer does ( and there are myriad possiblities) you can make a more informed decision.

As for a dual math/physics major, I would say it depends on your particular goals. Some people do these in 4 years some in 5 so you are going to have to weigh your options. A dual major would obviously be beneficial; however it may prolong school and depending on what you are doing after undergrad it may be irrelavant.

hope this helps, I'm only a student as well so i may not be the most knowledgeable on the subject.

my advice would be to prioritize your interests and passion when choosing a degree program. While marketability is important, it is also crucial to enjoy and excel in your chosen field of study. That being said, engineering physics and physics are both highly marketable degrees, so you can consider both options.

1. It is important to consider both your interests and career prospects when choosing a degree program. However, if you are passionate about modern theoretical, particle, or experimental physics, then pursuing a BSc in physics may be the best option for you. You can always pursue a higher degree in engineering if you decide to do so later on. It is also worth noting that many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that combine elements of both engineering and physics.

2. Engineering physics is a highly interdisciplinary field that combines principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering. While design may play a role in some areas of engineering physics, it is not a major focus of the program. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics to succeed in this field.

3. If you are interested in particle and nuclear physics, then a double major in math and physics would be beneficial. These fields are closely intertwined, and having a strong background in both subjects will give you a competitive edge in your studies and future career opportunities.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully research and consider your interests, strengths, and career goals before making a decision. It is also worth speaking with professors and students in both engineering physics and physics programs to gain a better understanding of the curriculum and career opportunities in each field. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Engineering Physics vs. Physics

1. What is the difference between Engineering Physics and Physics?

Engineering Physics is a specialized branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles to the development of new technologies and engineering solutions. Physics, on the other hand, is a broad scientific field that studies the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of matter and energy.

2. What types of courses are typically included in an Engineering Physics program?

An Engineering Physics program typically includes courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and engineering design. These courses provide a strong foundation in both physics principles and engineering concepts.

3. Which field has better job prospects: Engineering Physics or Physics?

Both Engineering Physics and Physics offer excellent job prospects. However, Engineering Physics graduates may have more opportunities in industries that require knowledge of both physics and engineering, such as aerospace, renewable energy, and medical technology. Physics graduates may find more job opportunities in research and academia.

4. Can someone with a degree in Engineering Physics work as a physicist?

Yes, someone with a degree in Engineering Physics can work as a physicist. The strong foundation in physics principles and problem-solving skills gained in an Engineering Physics program can be applied to various fields, including research and development, technical consulting, and engineering design.

5. Is it possible to switch from an Engineering Physics program to a Physics program?

It is possible to switch from an Engineering Physics program to a Physics program, but it may require additional coursework or meeting certain requirements. Engineering Physics programs typically have a heavier focus on engineering courses, so students may need to take some additional physics courses to meet the requirements of a Physics program. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the specific requirements for switching programs.