Engineering Physics Undergrad to Physics Grad

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a degree in Engineering Physics for their undergraduate studies, followed by a graduate degree in Physics. They are interested in pursuing a career in experimental High-Energy Physics and are wondering if the Engineering Physics curriculum will adequately prepare them for this. The response suggests that it depends on the specific curriculum, but as long as the standard physics courses are included, the individual should be well-prepared for graduate studies in High-Energy Physics. The only potential downside is a limitation on the number of elective physics courses that can be taken.
Dr.Mobius
I think that I saw a thread with a similar question not too long ago, but I couldn't find it, so sorry if this is too much of a repeat thread.

Anyways, I'm trying to weigh out all of my options for getting an education. One such possible idea I may have uncovered is doing Engineering Physics as an Undergrad, but then going on to just Physics in Graduate School. I eventually want a PhD and a job doing experimental High-Energy Physics.

So, bottom line: will doing Engineering Physics as an Undergrad prepare me for doing High-Energy Physics in Grad School?

As always, thanks PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the curriculum. As long as it's got the standard two semesters in electricity & magnetism, two semesters in quantum mechanics, a semester of stat mech, an advanced lab class, etc. then you should be fine. You may end up with a little more breadth than most pure physics undergrads. The only downside is that you may not be able to take as many physics electives.

Related to Engineering Physics Undergrad to Physics Grad

What is the difference between an undergraduate degree in engineering physics and a graduate degree in physics?

An undergraduate degree in engineering physics focuses on the application of physics principles to engineering problems while a graduate degree in physics delves deeper into theoretical and experimental physics concepts.

Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics with an undergraduate degree in engineering physics?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs in physics specifically for students with an undergraduate degree in engineering physics. However, you may need to take additional coursework to meet the prerequisites for the program.

What skills or knowledge do I need to have in order to succeed in a graduate program in physics after studying engineering physics in my undergraduate degree?

You should have a strong foundation in physics concepts and mathematical skills. You may also need to have some experience with experimental techniques and data analysis.

What career opportunities are available for someone with a graduate degree in physics after studying engineering physics in their undergraduate degree?

The combination of engineering and physics knowledge can open up various career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and technology. Additionally, a graduate degree in physics can also lead to research and teaching positions in academia.

What are some examples of research areas within physics that may be of interest to someone with a background in engineering physics?

Some examples include materials science, nanotechnology, renewable energy, and quantum computing. These areas often involve applying physics principles to solve engineering problems and can be a natural extension of an engineering physics education.