Engineering Physics: Moving Forward After Setback

In summary, the speaker is a third year university student majoring in physics who considered transferring to engineering physics but did not follow through due to procrastination and laziness. They are concerned about their grades and the pressure from their parents, as well as their chances of getting into grad school. They are hoping to retake some classes to improve their grades.
marshmallows
Hello all! :D I am going into my third year (second year in major) in university working towards a four year bachelor's degree majoring in physics. I talked to a prof/advisor about transferring into engineering physics and he encouraged me to transfer but procrastination and laziness got the best of me and I didn't end up getting accepted :(

Luckily, I am able to continue taking classes which will transfer over into EP but I feel terrible about my second year grades and I'm not sure what to do. My parents are putting a lot of pressure on me because they don't want to waste money on my education and I feel like I let them down because I didn't get into the college.

I am also worried that I won't be able to get into grad school later on because of my bad grades. I'm hoping I can retake my mechanics I and a probability stats class to improve my mark...

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
As I hear it, bad grades can be offset by good letters of recommendation, etc, when applying for Grad School.

Related to Engineering Physics: Moving Forward After Setback

1. What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of applied physics that focuses on the application of physical principles to solve engineering problems. It combines the principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to design, develop, and improve various technologies.

2. How does engineering physics help in moving forward after a setback?

Engineering physics provides a strong foundation in fundamental scientific principles and problem-solving skills. This enables engineers to analyze setbacks, identify the root cause, and develop innovative solutions to overcome challenges. Engineers also learn to adapt to new situations and think critically, which is essential in moving forward after a setback.

3. What are some examples of setbacks in engineering physics?

Setbacks in engineering physics can range from technical failures in designs or experiments, to financial or logistical challenges. For example, a structural engineering project may face setbacks due to unexpected soil conditions or a budget cut, while a materials science project may encounter challenges in developing a new material with desired properties.

4. How can engineers use their knowledge of physics to overcome setbacks?

Engineers use their understanding of fundamental physical principles to analyze the cause of a setback and find solutions. For example, in the case of a structural failure, engineers can use their knowledge of mechanics and materials to determine the cause of the failure and develop a more robust design. They can also use physics-based simulations and experiments to test and validate their solutions.

5. What skills are important for engineers in handling setbacks?

In addition to technical knowledge, engineers need to have strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills to handle setbacks effectively. They must also be adaptable, resilient, and able to work well under pressure. Collaborative skills are also essential as engineers often work in teams to overcome setbacks and achieve project goals.