Engineering grad school w/ Physics BS

In summary, the speaker is a student who will be graduating in one year with a BS in Physics and a BS in Applied Mathematics. They have research experience in Astrophysics and Photovoltaics and are considering pursuing a graduate degree in Material Science Engineering. They are unsure if their background in physics would be suitable for this field and are seeking advice on admission and financial aid. The other person reassures them that Materials Science and Engineering is interdisciplinary and welcomes diverse backgrounds, citing their own research supervisor who has graduated students with various majors.
bologna121121
Hello,

I'll be graduating in one year with a BS in Physics and a BS in Applied Mathematics. I've done research in Astrophysics and Photovoltaics, and I'm considering pursuing a graduate degree (either MS or PhD) in Material Science Engineering. I've looked at various school websites and it seems like I'd be considered (having a physics, rather than engineering, background) but I don't really have a human perspective on the situation. Is this a good idea, based on admission and financial help? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Materials Science and Engineering, as well as Biomedical Engineering, are really interdisciplinary and take a lot of people with diverse backgrounds ranging from biochemistry to math. Don't worry about not having the right background.

This I know because my current research supervisor is in the Materials Science department and has graduated people with 6 different majors: biochemistry, chemistry, biomedical engineering, materials science, chemical engineering and physics.

Related to Engineering grad school w/ Physics BS

1. What is the difference between a Physics BS and an Engineering degree?

A Physics BS degree focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while an Engineering degree focuses on applying these principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems. Engineering programs typically have more specialized coursework in a specific field, such as mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Engineering with a Physics BS?

Yes, many graduate programs in engineering accept students with a Physics BS degree. However, some programs may require additional coursework or prerequisites in engineering-related subjects.

3. What are some common areas of study in Engineering grad school with a Physics BS?

Some common areas of study include materials science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and biomedical engineering. However, there are various subfields and interdisciplinary programs available, so it is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in Engineering?

The length of a graduate degree program in Engineering can vary depending on the specific program and whether you are pursuing a master's or a Ph.D. program. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years, while a Ph.D. program can take 4-5 years to complete.

5. What career opportunities are available with a graduate degree in Engineering?

With a graduate degree in Engineering, you can pursue a variety of career paths in fields such as research and development, design, manufacturing, consulting, and academia. Some common job titles include engineer, researcher, project manager, consultant, and professor.