Engineering Dynamics (Motion related)

In summary, Engineering Dynamics is the study of the motion and forces of objects, using principles of physics and mathematics. It has various applications in fields such as mechanical and aerospace engineering, and is used to design and analyze the movement of machines, vehicles, and structures. It differs from statics in that it focuses on the motion of objects rather than their equilibrium. Common topics studied in Engineering Dynamics include kinematics, kinetics, and energy methods. It is crucial for solving real-world problems in engineering and science, as it allows for a better understanding and prediction of physical systems and the design of effective solutions.
eluu

Homework Statement

The rocket sled starts from rest and accelerates at a = 30 + 2t until its velocity is 400m/s. It then hits a water brake and its acceleration is a = -0.003v^2 m/s^2 until its velocity decreases to 100 m/s. What total distance does it travel?

Homework Equations

v = u + at
s = ut + at^2/2
v^2 = u^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure my first part is correct but here it is anyway:

v = u + at
v = u + (30 + 2t)t
*Sub in values and i get t = 8.508s, then i get s = 1701.652m from the other equation

For the next part I've done this:

a = -0.003v^2
v dv/dx = -0.003v^2
dv/v = -0.003dx *integrate both sides

ln(v) = -0.003x + C

when v = 400, x = 0, C = ln(400)

ln(v) = -0.003x + ln(400)

so when v = 100, i get x = 462.098m

So the total distance i get is 2163.750m but the answer says 2300m...

Where did i go wrong or is the answer given incorrect? :S

Physics news on Phys.org

Your calculations for the first part seem to be correct. However, for the second part, you have integrated incorrectly. Instead of integrating both sides, you should only integrate the left side, as the right side is a constant (since x is the distance traveled, it is not a function of v). So the correct integration would be:

∫dv/v = ∫-0.003dx

ln(v) = -0.003x + C

When v = 400, x = 0, so C = ln(400)

ln(v) = -0.003x + ln(400)

When v = 100, x = 462.098m, so the total distance traveled is 1701.652 + 462.098 = 2163.750m. Your answer is correct. It is possible that the answer given is incorrect, or there may have been a mistake in the calculation.

Related to Engineering Dynamics (Motion related)

1. What is Engineering Dynamics?

Engineering Dynamics is the study of the motion and forces of objects. It involves applying principles of physics and mathematics to analyze the movement of different systems and structures.

2. What are some applications of Engineering Dynamics?

Engineering Dynamics has numerous applications in various fields, including mechanical and aerospace engineering. It is used to design and analyze the motion of machines, vehicles, and structures, as well as to predict and improve their performance.

3. How is Engineering Dynamics different from statics?

Engineering Dynamics deals with the motion of objects, while statics focuses on the equilibrium of objects at rest. In other words, dynamics involves studying the forces that cause objects to move, while statics examines the forces that keep objects in place.

4. What are some common topics studied in Engineering Dynamics?

Some common topics in Engineering Dynamics include kinematics (the study of motion without considering forces), kinetics (the study of motion and forces), and energy methods (the study of energy and its transfer in systems).

5. How does Engineering Dynamics relate to real-world problems?

Engineering Dynamics is essential for solving real-world problems in engineering and science. It allows engineers to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, and to design solutions that are safe, efficient, and reliable.