Uniform circular motion with friction

In summary: Kumar is seeking assistance with solving a question from his engineering mechanics class. He took an exam and passed except for one question, which he and several tutors have been unable to solve. The professor is refusing to provide assistance or clarification. The question involves a bead sliding on a rigid circular wire with friction and the goal is to find the speed of the bead as a function of time. Chetan is working on the problem and requests any help or suggestions.
Gryphlet
I recently took an exam in my engineering mechanics class and passed the exam except for one question. I have been trying to solve this question after the fact and determine the solution, however neither I nor several engineering tutors have had any success. The professor refuses to give assistance or clarification. Any assistance would be appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

A bead of mass 'm' slides on a rigid circular wire. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the bead and the wire is ## \mu ##. Assume Gravity is negligible.

a. Is speed increasing or decreasing? [correct answer: decreasing]
b. Find an expression for the rate of change of speed. [correct answer: ##\frac {dv} {dt} = \frac {\mu v^2} {r}##]
c. If at t=0 the speed of the bead is ##v_o##, find the speed v(t) as a function of time t. [correct answer: ##v(t) = \frac {r v_o} {r + v_o \mu t}##]

Homework Equations

##s = r \theta ##
##v = r \dot \theta ##
##\frac {dv} {dt} = r \ddot \theta ##
##\vec V = r \dot \theta \hat t ##
##\vec a = \frac {v^2} {r} \hat n + \frac {dv} {dt} \hat t ##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. The speed of the bead is decreasing due to the presence of friction [correct]

b. Rate of change of speed is equal to ##\frac {dv} {dt}##

Using normal-tangential coordinates, I determined that friction is opposing the direction of motion, in this case the velocity in the tangential direction, thus:
##\sum F_x = -F_f sin \theta ##
##\sum F_y = F_f cos \theta ##[/B]

I am not even sure where to begin with this problem, although I am actively working on it now. The exam is over and I have lost all chance at points but I would still like to understand the concepts behind a problem like this. Any assistance would be appreciated; if there is anything I need to add or change in this problem statement please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a free body diagram on the bead? What is the radial acceleration? What is the radial force balance in terms of N, the normal force between the bead and the wire? What is the force balance in the tangential direction, in terms of the frictional force F and the tangential acceleration? What is the kinematic equation for the tangential acceleration? What is the relationship between the frictional force F and the normal force N in terms of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Chet

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to Uniform circular motion with friction

1. What is uniform circular motion with friction?

Uniform circular motion with friction is a type of motion in which an object moves at a constant speed in a circular path while experiencing friction, which is a force that opposes the motion of the object. This type of motion is commonly seen in everyday situations, such as a car driving around a curved road or a satellite orbiting the Earth.

2. How is uniform circular motion with friction different from uniform circular motion without friction?

The main difference between uniform circular motion with friction and without friction is the presence of the friction force. In uniform circular motion without friction, the object moves at a constant speed without any external forces acting on it. However, in uniform circular motion with friction, the friction force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, causing the object to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in uniform circular motion?

The amount of friction in uniform circular motion is affected by several factors, including the surface of the object and the surface it is moving on, the speed of the object, and the weight or mass of the object. These factors can affect the strength of the friction force and determine how quickly the object will slow down or come to a stop.

4. How does uniform circular motion with friction impact the energy of the object?

In uniform circular motion with friction, the friction force does work on the object, converting some of its kinetic energy into heat energy. This means that the object's total energy decreases over time as it continues to move in a circular path, eventually coming to a stop when all of its kinetic energy is converted into heat.

5. Can uniform circular motion with friction be maintained indefinitely?

No, uniform circular motion with friction cannot be maintained indefinitely. This is because the friction force will eventually slow down the object and cause it to come to a stop. In order to maintain uniform circular motion, an external force must be continuously applied to counteract the friction force, such as the engine in a car or the gravitational pull in a satellite's orbit.