Engineering Course Plan: What's Best?

In summary: So to clarify, the CalcIII I did was mostly about multidimensional functions and multidimensional integrals, which is very useful to physics courses in general and to physics II in particular (assuming, physics II = electricity and magnetism). However, if you're not interested in ODE, you can take Statics first and skip ODE. Then, when you're ready, you can take Circuit Analysis.
Chunkysalsa
So I am an EE major currently taking Physics I and Calc II. Originally my plan was to take Physics II, Calc III, and Statics together with ODE and Circuit Analysis in the summer.

A friend of mine made a point that ODE can come after Calc II rather than III. So now I have an option of switching Calc III and ODE.

Now because all of these subjects probably share information (the math learned can be applied towards the physics) which order is the best. Is any Calc III used in physics II because I know ODE is necessary for Circuit analysis (its listed as a co-req) so it might be beneficial to learn it before I get there.

How hard (relatively and in general) are Statics, Circuits, and ODE. I don't want to load all the hard classes together. Especially in a summer semester.

Physics news on Phys.org
[take under consideration that courses vary between universities, not to mention between countries...]
So to clarify, the CalcIII I did was mostly about multidimensional functions and multidimensional integrals, which is very useful to physics courses in general and to physics II in particular (assuming, physics II = electricity and magnetism)

Now about ODE, I'm sure you have already encountered the subject (since you've done physics I ). Obviously you didn't learn anything formal there, so if you are interested in the formalism and the delicate details, you should do it. However I'm not certain it would help you much in your physics courses, since mathematical courses do not give much attention to actually solving equations, and when you do solve some you'll most probably do it as you've learned in physics (i.e the intuitive way)

Chunkysalsa said:
So I am an EE major currently taking Physics I and Calc II. Originally my plan was to take Physics II, Calc III, and Statics together with ODE and Circuit Analysis in the summer.

A friend of mine made a point that ODE can come after Calc II rather than III. So now I have an option of switching Calc III and ODE.

Now because all of these subjects probably share information (the math learned can be applied towards the physics) which order is the best. Is any Calc III used in physics II because I know ODE is necessary for Circuit analysis (its listed as a co-req) so it might be beneficial to learn it before I get there.

How hard (relatively and in general) are Statics, Circuits, and ODE. I don't want to load all the hard classes together. Especially in a summer semester.

In my school you do not need to have taken calc 3 before you take ode's/

Circuit analysis involves extensive ode's as most of the time when you solve a circuit that's essentially what you're doing (solving a diff eqtn).

However it depends on your teacher, sometimes they'll have you solve the circuit via actually solving the equation or if they're somewhat lazy mathematically they'll turn everything into simple algebra via the Laplace transform (which you learn and derive in ode's but to apply them is actually quite simple, again easy algebra and maybe some matrix operations if your teacher doesn't like their TI-89 calculators too much).

IMO, take ODE's (and Linear algebra if you can) before you take Circuit Analysis; I don't imagine ODE's and Statics would be that difficult together, I just think you might be a bit lost in circuits w/out an ode class unless its very rudimentary.

What about Calc 3 and Physics II, any loss not taking those together.

At my school, the majority of physics II students were taking calc III concurrently. However, there were maybe 5-7 people who were taking ODE instead. The prof gave them a waiver and allowed them in the class. They didn't struggle at all.

Okay cool, my school's physics II doesn't require calc III at all only calc II.

I just know calc III goes over vector calculus that I thought might be useful.

Related to Engineering Course Plan: What's Best?

1. What are the key components of an engineering course plan?

An engineering course plan typically includes core engineering courses such as math, physics, and chemistry, as well as specialized courses in the chosen field of engineering. It may also include general education courses and electives.

2. How do I determine which engineering courses are best for me?

It is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when choosing engineering courses. You may also consult with academic advisors, research job market demands, and talk to professionals in your desired field for guidance.

3. Can I customize my engineering course plan?

Many universities offer flexibility in course selection, allowing students to customize their engineering course plan based on their individual interests and career goals. However, there may be certain required courses that must be included in the plan.

4. How long does it take to complete an engineering course plan?

The duration of an engineering course plan varies depending on the program and the student's individual pace. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a bachelor's degree in engineering.

5. Are there any prerequisites for engineering courses?

Yes, some engineering courses may have prerequisites that must be completed before enrolling. These prerequisites may include specific math or science courses, or completion of certain core engineering courses. It is important to check the course requirements before enrolling.