End of Hamas' Mickey Mouse: Can Peace Follow?

• News
  • Thread starter EL
  • Start date
In summary, a Palestinian TV station has discontinued a controversial children's program featuring a Mickey Mouse lookalike that was accused of spreading anti-US and anti-Israeli messages. The program has been criticized for contributing to the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict, but some suggest that both sides are exposed to propaganda. A solution to the conflict is not expected in the near future.
EL
Science Advisor
When children programs look like this, how bad isn't the situation?
At least they have stopped sending it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6257594.stm
A Palestinian TV station has killed off a controversial Mickey Mouse lookalike that critics said was spreading anti-US and anti-Israeli messages to children.

Clips from the "show":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gi-c6lbFGC4

Can we hope for a solution of the Israel-Palestine conflict in any near future?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't think so, no. I don't see any violent solutions and stuff like this doesn't help in reaching a non-violent solution.

I think we should have a healthy skepticism with relation to that translation, though - it seems to be generally correct, but the devil's in the details, and MEMRI isn't exactly known to be pro Palestinian :p

I don't know said:
I think we should have a healthy skepticism with relation to that translation, though

Probably. Anyone who can check the translation?

A cry I usually hear lately, well from Zionists anyway is that "Palestinian children are brainwashed to hate the West", Israel the US or whatever by TV. This doesn't really do much to dissuade me that that is happening unfortunately.

But then to be frank, when you talk to Israelis there is a deal of hate filled rhetoric there as well. As a strictly impartial person, I think both sides are exposed to the same level of propaganda although in different ways, and frankly it is kind of sad, if not utterly understandable.

Related to End of Hamas' Mickey Mouse: Can Peace Follow?

1. What is the significance of Hamas' Mickey Mouse character?

The character of Hamas' Mickey Mouse, known as Farfur, was used in a children's television show in Gaza to promote the group's militant ideology and encourage violence against Israel. It gained international attention and controversy, as it was seen as a dangerous form of indoctrination for young children.

2. Why is the end of Hamas' Mickey Mouse significant?

The end of Hamas' Mickey Mouse marks a shift in the group's propaganda tactics, as they have now moved away from using children's characters to spread their message. It also reflects the changing political climate in the region and a desire for Hamas to improve their image and relations with other countries.

3. How did the show featuring Hamas' Mickey Mouse come to an end?

The show was taken off the air in 2007 after widespread criticism and condemnation from international organizations and governments. It was also reported that the creator of the show, Farfur's voice actor and co-owner of the television station, was killed by an Israeli airstrike during the conflict in Gaza.

4. Can peace follow the end of Hamas' Mickey Mouse?

While the end of the show is a positive step towards promoting peace and tolerance, it is not a guarantee that peace will follow. The political and social issues in the region are complex and require much more than just the removal of a children's character from a television show. It will require continued efforts and negotiations from all parties involved.

5. What are the potential impacts of the end of Hamas' Mickey Mouse?

The end of Hamas' Mickey Mouse can have several potential impacts. It can lead to a decrease in incitement and violence among children in the region, as well as improve the perception of Hamas in the international community. However, it could also lead to backlash and criticism from those who supported the show and its messaging. Ultimately, the long-term impacts will depend on the actions and decisions of all parties involved in the conflict.