Employers' thoughts on B.S. in Physics/M.S. in Electrical Engineering?

In summary: A good friend of mine did a combined BS/S program: BS Applied Physics/MS EE. He worked super hard and did really well. He also did 3 co-op experiences throughout school to gain real experience. He is doing awesome now. He has a great job working for Lincoln Laboratories making really good money.That's great news! Do you know what the ABET certification is?
Ryuk1990
What do employers generally think of someone with a B.S. in Applied Physics and an M.S. in Electrical Engineering? Do employers see it as a negative that the person didn't get his/her B.S. also in EE?

Physics news on Phys.org
They probably think you are really smart =p

Woopydalan said:
They probably think you are really smart =p

Haha.

In all seriousness, I have heard that employers do not like it when you're missing a B.S. for EE because of the ABET certification.

Ryuk1990 said:
Haha.

In all seriousness, I have heard that employers do not like it when you're missing a B.S. for EE because of the ABET certification.

I thought ABET certification is rarely needed outside of things like Civil Engineering.

doctorwhoo said:
I thought ABET certification is rarely needed outside of things like Civil Engineering.

Maybe you're thinking of a Professional Engineer license?

What's an ABET certification?

Ryuk1990 said:
Maybe you're thinking of a Professional Engineer license?

Oh yeah I was. Never mind.

Ryuk1990 said:
What do employers generally think of someone with a B.S. in Applied Physics and an M.S. in Electrical Engineering? Do employers see it as a negative that the person didn't get his/her B.S. also in EE?

Most of the time, the answer to that question would be no. However, there are many flavors of electrical engineering and some are more dependent on physics than others.

For example, if you're designing an embedded system for a piece of instrumentation (such as a flow meter), physics can play a big part in the design. However, if you're designing a software defined radio system of some sort, it doesn't help as much.

The ultimate question is whether an employer is willing to pay extra for someone who has a master's degree, or whether in their case experience itself is just as good.

I would submit that your extra education may serve you better in some electrical engineering endeavors than others.

Ryuk1990 said:

A good friend of mine did a combined BS/S program: BS Applied Physics/MS EE. He worked super hard and did really well. He also did 3 co-op experiences throughout school to gain real experience. He is doing awesome now. He has a great job working for Lincoln Laboratories making really good money.

I noticed a lot of colleges offer these "professional" masters degrees in physics. Would that be employable after a BS in physics, or am i better off just doing an ms in EE?

Related to Employers' thoughts on B.S. in Physics/M.S. in Electrical Engineering?

1. What do employers think about a B.S. in Physics and M.S. in Electrical Engineering combination?

Employers generally view this combination positively as it shows a strong foundation in both physics and engineering principles. It also demonstrates a diverse skill set and the ability to think critically and analytically.

2. Are there any specific industries that prefer this combination?

Yes, industries such as aerospace, defense, and energy tend to value this combination as it offers a strong background in both theoretical and practical applications of physics and engineering.

3. Will having both degrees give me an advantage in the job market?

Having both a B.S. in Physics and M.S. in Electrical Engineering can definitely give you an advantage in the job market. It showcases your versatility and adaptability, which are highly sought after qualities in many industries.

4. How can I highlight both degrees on my resume?

You can list both degrees separately under your education section, with the M.S. degree listed after the B.S. degree. Additionally, you can mention specific coursework or projects that highlight the combination of physics and electrical engineering.

5. Will I be limited to jobs in the technical field with this combination?

No, having a B.S. in Physics and M.S. in Electrical Engineering does not limit you to only technical jobs. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained through these degrees can be applied to various industries, such as finance, consulting, and data analysis.