Is an Applied Physics Major Employable?

In summary: The physical electronics might be best, especially if you can double-major in EE going down that path.Pick one of those areas and then get the engineering degree that will let you work in it.The degree will however get him past HR. These days if they say you need a specific degree then that's what they will look for, which is why its very important to make targeted resumes filled with key words or skills that are applicable to the position.
koh94
My university offers an Applied Physics major with seven specialties: atmospheric physics, chemical physics, computational physics, geophysics, materials science, physical electronics or physical oceanography. I could also pursue a B.S./M.S. degree in electrical engineering if I choose the physical electronics specialty.

My question is, which one of these specialties is the most employable? What kind of careers will these specialties lead me to? Is it even worth majoring in applied physics?

I used to be a managerial economics major hoping to go into the business field in the future, but I realized that I really love physics (although I'm not a genius at it). I'm also hoping that I can also go into the business field with my degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything related to petroleum, new grads are making quite good salaries.

Not entirely sure since I'm just an undergrad as well but I'm doing both the computational and materials options at my uni. I plan on going to grad school, but hopefully they will give me some skills to fall back on.

EDIT: The physical electronics might be best, especially if you can double-major in EE going down that path.

Pick one of those areas and then get the engineering degree that will let you work in it.

If there's some physics you want to learn, take it as an elective.

Likes 1 person
Agreed. It's going to be an uphill battle with a physics degree. Unless of course you want to become a professor or researcher, but then you need a PhD

The whole idea that the degree itself is what gets the job is misguided. You need to get the job. Earning a degree is an opportunity to build up your toolbox of skills, but ultimately it will up to you.

Vanadium 50 said:
The whole idea that the degree itself is what gets the job is misguided. You need to get the job. Earning a degree is an opportunity to build up your toolbox of skills, but ultimately it will up to you.
While true, the degree will however get him past HR. These days if they say you need a specific degree then that's what they will look for, which is why its very important to make targeted resumes filled with key words or skills that are applicable to the position. I recently applied to an internship with Boeing and despite meeting every other requirement listed, they sent me a rejection letter saying that they were looking for mechanical and electrical engineers only. Now I'm a nuclear engineering major, but as part of the curriculum we are required to take every single class the mechanical engineers take except for things like manufacturing processes but the core of our curriculum is mechanical engineering, we also have more physics and mathematics courses then the mechanical engineers, my mistake was assuming HR would know that and I didn't make a targeted resume with relevant coursework and keywords. So the degree does matter to an extent for both skills and knowledge and getting past HR. Seems to me these companies hiring for engineers need some HR personnel with some kind of technical background.

Related to Is an Applied Physics Major Employable?

1. Is an Applied Physics major employable?

Yes, an Applied Physics major is employable. Applied Physics is a versatile and interdisciplinary field that combines the principles of physics with real-world applications. This makes graduates highly desirable in various industries, including technology, research, engineering, and manufacturing.

2. What types of jobs can an Applied Physics major get?

Applied Physics majors can get a wide range of jobs, including roles in research and development, data analysis, quality control, product design, and technical consulting. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, renewable energy, and telecommunications.

3. How much can an Applied Physics major expect to earn?

The salary for an Applied Physics major can vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for a physicist in the United States is $122,850 per year. With experience and advanced degrees, the earning potential can increase significantly.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for an Applied Physics major to find employment?

While a graduate degree can provide additional opportunities and higher salaries, it is not necessary for an Applied Physics major to find employment. Many entry-level positions are available for those with a bachelor's degree in Applied Physics, and on-the-job training and experience can lead to career advancement.

5. What skills do Applied Physics majors possess?

Applied Physics majors possess a wide range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical thinking, and mathematical proficiency. They also have a strong understanding of scientific principles and experimental techniques, as well as technical skills in data analysis and computer programming. Additionally, they have excellent communication and teamwork skills, making them valuable assets in the workforce.