EMF induced in a moving conductor

In summary, given a metal wire sliding on a horseshoe-shaped loop with a 0.25m width and a negligible resistance, a 1Ω resistor, and a 6 volt battery, with a uniform magnetic field of 0.5 T directed into the plane of the page, the wire is pushed to the right by the magnetic force. A force of 0.25 N to the left is required to keep it moving at a constant speed to the right. The current in the circuit is 2 amps, the voltage drop across the resistor is 2 volts, and the induced emf generated by the moving wire is also 2 volts. The wire is moving at a speed of 16m/s, and
resvordog
A metal wire slides on a horseshoe-shaped metal loop of width 0.25 m. The loop has negligible resistance, but there is a 1Ω resistor in the circuit as well as a 6 volt battery. There is a uniform magnetic field directed into the plane of the page of magnitude 0.5 T. The slide wire is pushed to the right by the magnetic force. A force of 0.25 N to the left is required to keep it moving a constant speed to the right, i.e. 0.25 N balances the magnetic force.

(a) What is the current in the circuit?
(b) What is the voltage drop across the resistor?
(c) What is the induced emf generated by the moving wire?
(d) With what speed is the wire moving?
(e) What mechanical power (i.e., Fv) does the motor produce?
(f) Subtract from the total electrical power input, the power dissipated in the resistor and compare to the mechanical power.

Relevant equations
F=IlB F=((B^2)(l^2)/R) x v V=IR emf=Blv P=Fv P(dissapated)=(I^2)R

The attempt at a solution
(a) 0.25=I(0.25m)(0.5T) I=2amps
(b) V=(2A)(1Ω) V= 2 volts
(c) 0.25N=((0.5^2)(0.25^2)/(1Ω)) x v
v=16m/s emf=Blv=(0.5T)(0.25m)(16m/s)= 2 volts
(d) v=16m/s
(e) P=(0.25N)(16m/s)= 4 watts
(f) total power input = VI= 2volts x 2 amps = 4 watts
4 watts - 4 watts = 0 watts
0 watts ≠ 4 watts

No idea if I did this right. Please help me! Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
121 views, and no one replies? Wtf...

Related to EMF induced in a moving conductor

1. What is EMF induced in a moving conductor?

EMF (electromotive force) induced in a moving conductor, also known as electromagnetic induction, is the production of an electrical voltage across a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. How is EMF induced in a moving conductor?

EMF is induced in a moving conductor through the interaction between a magnetic field and the motion of the conductor. When the conductor moves through a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux causes a force on the electrons in the conductor, resulting in the production of an EMF.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of EMF induced in a moving conductor?

The magnitude of EMF induced in a moving conductor depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the conductor, and the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. Additionally, the length and shape of the conductor can also affect the EMF induced.

4. What are some practical applications of EMF induced in a moving conductor?

EMF induced in a moving conductor is the basis for many electrical devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology, magnetic levitation trains, and certain medical devices.

5. How does Lenz's Law relate to EMF induced in a moving conductor?

Lenz's Law states that the direction of the induced EMF in a conductor is always such that it opposes the change in the magnetic flux that caused it. This means that the induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field, resulting in a decrease in the induced EMF.