EM waves: multiple planar interfaces (PEC-backed lossy dielectric)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of external help for a take-home test and a problem involving a three-layer dielectric with layers of air, a lossy dielectric, and a perfect electric conductor. The conversation also mentions using Maxwell's equations and boundary conditions to find the power reflection coefficient R for different incident angles, and the difficulty in finding a closed form solution for the transfer matrix between the lossy dielectric and the PEC. The concept of a PEC acting as a perfect reflector is also explained.
bladesong

Homework Statement

Our prof has told us we can get help from wherever/whoever we want as long as it isn't classmates. This is a take-home test. The relevant question:

You have a three-layer dielectric.

| Layer 1 | Layer 2 | Layer 3 |

Layers 1 and 3 are semi-infinite.

Layer 1 is air (εr = 1, μr = 1), σ = 0.
Layer 2 is a lossy dielectric, εr = 2, μr = 1, σ = 0.01S/m. Its length is 1m.
Layer 3 is a perfect electric conductor (PEC).

The freespace wavelength of an incident EM wave is 1m.

Find the power reflection coefficient R's numerical value for an incident angle of 0°, 40°, and 80°, and plot R for 0<θ<90.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations, boundary conditions, and matrix methods for solving multiple dielectric interfaces. I've posted some, the rest I can link to or post them on request: they're quite lengthy (probably about 20-30 pages).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to find a closed form for the transfer matrix between the lossy dielectric and the PEC, but it always comes up singular. I'm not sure how to procede. As the σ = ∞ for the PEC, the wavenumber is also infinite, and so I can't reasonably find a closed form for the matrices. I have done a numerical solution that literally measures reflections (and attentuation causes it to quickly drop off anyway), but I'm wondering if I was beating my head against the desk for nothing.

If someone could explain what a PEC does in this case (does it absorb all the energy? Does it completely reflect it?) it would be really helpful, information on that seems scant too.

I can, again, post my attempt if you wish, but it's about 300-400 lines of MATLAB code. If in the end the answer is just "there is no closed form for the matrix" then I guess that'll be that.

Thanks and if there are any additional questions please don't hesitate. You guys are the best, that's why I keep coming back.

Attachments

• Lecture+Notes+10-04-2012 (2).pdf
    184.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Lecture+Notes+10-30-2012.pdf
    120.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Lecture+Notes+10-16-2012 (2).pdf
    870.2 KB · Views: 281
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and attempt at a solution. It appears that you are on the right track in using Maxwell's equations and boundary conditions to solve for the power reflection coefficient R in this scenario.

Regarding your question about the PEC, it is important to note that a perfect electric conductor is an idealized material that has an infinite conductivity and therefore, does not allow any electric field to penetrate into it. This means that for an incident EM wave, all of the energy will be reflected back. In other words, the PEC acts as a perfect reflector.

As for your difficulty in finding a closed form for the transfer matrix between the lossy dielectric and the PEC, it is possible that there may not be a simple solution due to the complexity of the problem. In this case, your numerical solution may be the best approach to obtain the power reflection coefficient for different incident angles.

Overall, it seems that you are on the right track and have a good understanding of the concepts involved. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification or assistance if needed. Good luck with your solution!

Related to EM waves: multiple planar interfaces (PEC-backed lossy dielectric)

1. What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that travels through space in the form of electric and magnetic fields. They are produced by the acceleration of electrically charged particles and are essential for the functioning of many technologies, such as radio, television, and cell phones.

2. What is meant by multiple planar interfaces?

A multiple planar interface refers to the scenario where an EM wave encounters multiple boundaries or interfaces between different materials. These boundaries can be between different types of media, such as air and water, or between different layers of the same material.

3. What is a PEC-backed lossy dielectric?

A PEC-backed lossy dielectric is a type of material that is used in the construction of electromagnetic devices and structures. PEC stands for Perfect Electric Conductor, which means that the material has an infinite conductivity, causing all incident electric fields to be completely reflected. A lossy dielectric, on the other hand, has some conductivity and will absorb some of the incident energy.

4. How do EM waves behave at multiple planar interfaces?

At multiple planar interfaces, EM waves can be reflected, transmitted, and refracted, depending on the properties of the materials they encounter. These behaviors can be described using the laws of reflection and refraction, as well as equations such as Snell's law and the Fresnel equations.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding EM waves at multiple planar interfaces?

Understanding how EM waves behave at multiple planar interfaces is crucial for the design and optimization of various technologies, such as antennas, waveguides, and optical fibers. It is also important in fields such as radar, satellite communication, and medical imaging.