Normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the total reflected intensity of light when it passes through multiple layers of different materials. The equations for the tangential components of the electric and magnetic fields at each interface are mentioned, as well as the relationships between the waves in front of and behind an interface and at the boundaries of a medium. It is suggested to refer to a book on thin film optics for the solution, and the idea of multiple reflected waves adding up to a forward and backward traveling wave is explained. The use of matrix form to represent these relationships is also mentioned.
Robsta

Homework Statement

I've not been able to do this question for years so I'd really appreciate some help.

Light is normaly incident from a medium 1 with impedance Z1 through a layer of medium 2 of thickness L and impedance Z2 into medium 3 of impedance Z3. Obtain an expression for the total reflected intensity of light when the thickness corresponds to:
a) λ2/4
b) λ2/2

where λ2 is the wavelength of the light in medium 2.

Homework Equations

I know that the tangential components of the E and B fields are continuous over the boundaries so at each interface:

E1f + E1b = E2f +E2b = E3f
H1f + H1b = H2f +H2b = H3f

where f and b signify forward and backward going waves

Also, E1f/H1f = Z1
And E1b/H1b = -Z1

I know how to do this for the one boundary problem where you get r = (Z2 - Z1)/(Z1+Z2) and t = 2Z2/(Z2+Z1) But I can't apply it to the first boundary as now there's a wave coming the other way being reflected from the second boundary. It all seems intractably complicated but I know this is a fairly standard problem, so I'm finding it really frustrating.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really even know how to start. The wave in the middle material will bounce back and forwards seemingly infinitely and I don't know how to deal with that. I've just said in the middle there's the sum of a forward going and a backward going wave. I don't really know if the equations above are right for the middle section.

Physics news on Phys.org
You find the answer in any book about thin film optics. Vasicek, Heavens fro example. Or Knittel https://archive.org/details/OpticsOfThinFilms.
If you have still problems, I write about it later.
All the multiple reflected waves add up to a wave traveling forward and an other, traveling backward. You can set up the relation between the waves in front of an interface and behind that interface, and also at the two boundaries of a medium. All these relationship can be written in matrix from.

Related to Normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries

1. What is normal incidence?

Normal incidence refers to the scenario where an electromagnetic wave, such as light, strikes a surface or boundary perpendicularly. This means that the angle of incidence (the angle between the incident wave and the normal line to the surface) is 0 degrees.

2. What are dielectric boundaries?

Dielectric boundaries are interfaces between two different materials that have different electrical properties, specifically their ability to conduct electricity. These materials are called dielectrics and they are characterized by having low conductivity and high insulating properties.

3. How does normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries affect the behavior of light?

Normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries can cause the light to reflect, refract, and transmit through the two different materials. The amount of reflection and refraction that occurs depends on the properties of the two materials and the angle of incidence.

4. What is the importance of studying normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries?

Studying normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries is important in understanding the behavior of light when it encounters different materials. This knowledge is crucial in various fields such as optics, materials science, and engineering, and is also used in the design of optical devices and materials.

5. What factors affect the amount of reflection and refraction at normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries?

The amount of reflection and refraction at normal incidence on 2 dielectric boundaries is affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two materials, and the polarization of the incident light. The refractive index is a measure of how much the speed of light changes as it passes through a material, and it plays a major role in determining the direction and intensity of the reflected and refracted light.