ELP82b / Lunar tables doubt....

In summary: Insert your name here]In summary, CPtolemy is programming a DLL using VSOP87 and ELP82b and is having trouble with the nutation and precession corrections. They are getting worse values than expected and are seeking ideas or sources for resolving the issue. Suggestions include checking algorithms and data, as well as consulting with others in the field.
cptolemy
Hi,

I'm programming a simple DLL to use VSOP87 and ELP82b.

I can get the correct x,y and z values without a problem referred to J2000, I think.

But I'm getting a constant error when applying the correction for the nutation and precession in ELP82b. Actually, I'm getting even worst values than the Lunar Tables from 4000BC to 8000DC of Chapront.

The precession is rather simple - and the nutation is just adding. But maybe I'm missing the correct algorithms to do so.

Any ideas - or sources - for this?

Kind regards,

CPtolemy

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hi CPtolemy,

Thank you for sharing your progress on your DLL project. It sounds like you are having trouble with the nutation and precession corrections in ELP82b. These corrections are important for accurately calculating the positions of celestial bodies over long periods of time.

One potential source of error could be the algorithms you are using for the corrections. Make sure you are using the most up-to-date and accurate algorithms for nutation and precession. You may also want to check for any typos or errors in your code that could be causing the discrepancies.

Another possibility could be the data you are using for the corrections. Make sure you are using the correct data for the time period you are interested in. Depending on the accuracy you require, you may need to use more precise data or consider incorporating additional factors such as tidal effects.

I would also recommend checking with other sources or experts in the field to see if they have encountered similar issues and how they have addressed them. Collaborating with others can often lead to valuable insights and solutions.

I hope these suggestions help you to resolve the issue with your nutation and precession corrections. Good luck with your project!

Related to ELP82b / Lunar tables doubt....

1. What is ELP82b?

ELP82b stands for "Ephemerides of Lunar Planets 1982b." It is an algorithm used to calculate the position of the Moon in the sky based on the positions of the Earth, Sun, and other major planets.

2. How accurate are the ELP82b lunar tables?

The ELP82b lunar tables are considered to be very accurate, with an average error of less than 1 arcsecond (1/3600 of a degree). This level of precision is sufficient for most astronomical and navigational purposes.

3. What is the purpose of the ELP82b lunar tables?

The ELP82b lunar tables are used to predict the position of the Moon in the sky for a given date and time. This information is useful for astronomical observations, navigation, and other applications that require accurate knowledge of the Moon's position.

4. How do the ELP82b lunar tables differ from other lunar tables?

The ELP82b lunar tables are considered to be some of the most accurate lunar tables available due to the inclusion of data from the major planets in our solar system. This makes them more precise than other lunar tables that only take into account the Earth and Sun.

5. Can the ELP82b lunar tables be used for any date and time?

Yes, the ELP82b lunar tables can be used for any date and time within a certain range. They are typically accurate for dates between 3000 BC and 3000 AD, but may become less precise for dates outside of this range due to changes in the orbits of the major planets.