Why Does the ELP2000-82b Lunar Theory Differ from Jean Meeus' Adjustments?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with the reduction of positions obtained from the ELP2000-82b lunar theory to the mean equinox of date. They have noticed a difference between Jean Meeus' terms and the original ELP, and are wondering about the transformations Meeus did to the terms. The individual also mentions a resource that may provide some assistance. They are unsure whether to use C++ or Fortran for their programming. Meeus' recent work is based on lunar range finder data.
cptolemy
Good morning,

I was wondering if someone can help me in this subject. I recently programmed the entire ELP2000-82b lunar theory in a dll. My problem is the reduction of the obtained positions to the mean equinox of date. The theory is referred to the ELP2000 inertial frame. A simple adjustment of the longitude (in precession with Laskar series) is not giving me accurate results - beats me why...

Also, I noticed a difference between Jean Meeus terms and the original ELP. They are different. Does anyone knows what transfomations Mr. Meeus did to the terms? His results are very good even in past times.

Regards,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I can't provide a link to a paper but I'm fairly sure that Meeus' recent work is based on lunar range finder data, initially using data up to 1995. I presume he has revisisted this since.

Related to Why Does the ELP2000-82b Lunar Theory Differ from Jean Meeus' Adjustments?

1. What is ELP2000-82b Lunar theory?

ELP2000-82b Lunar theory is a mathematical model that describes the position and movement of the Moon relative to the Earth. It takes into account various factors such as gravitational forces, tidal effects, and the influence of other celestial bodies.

2. How accurate is ELP2000-82b Lunar theory?

ELP2000-82b Lunar theory is considered to be highly accurate, with a precision of about 2-3 centimeters in predicting the position of the Moon. However, its accuracy decreases over longer periods of time due to the complex and constantly changing nature of the Moon's orbit.

3. Who developed ELP2000-82b Lunar theory?

ELP2000-82b Lunar theory was developed by a team of scientists led by Jean Chapront and Jean-Francois Laskar in 1986. It was an updated version of the original ELP2000 theory, which was first published in 1976.

4. How is ELP2000-82b Lunar theory used?

ELP2000-82b Lunar theory is primarily used by astronomers and scientists to accurately predict the position of the Moon for various purposes, such as lunar missions, astronomical observations, and navigation. It is also used in the study of Earth-Moon dynamics and in the development of lunar calendars.

5. Is ELP2000-82b Lunar theory still used today?

Yes, ELP2000-82b Lunar theory is still widely used today, although it has been updated and improved upon by newer theories. It remains a valuable tool in the study of lunar motion and is considered to be one of the most accurate models for predicting the position of the Moon.