Help with calculating an impact on the moon

• Thread starter John Clayborn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact Moon
In summary: The value they're getting from 1.161 is actually the "modulus of elasticity" (MOE) of the material being impacted. For Earth, that would be 5.52 g/cm^3.
John Clayborn
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm relatively familiar with some astrophysics calculations, but this particular equation is kicking my proverbial butt. I'm currently writing a sci-fi book series and there's an impact that happens on a moon, but I want to be able to realistically calculate what the damage would be.

I have all of the data on the impactor; size, mass, velocity, density (7.85 kg/cm^3: steel), etc. I even have the data on the moon itself. (I already have an excel spreadsheet set up to aid in those calculations). What I cannot determine is the correct equation to use to calculate the diameter of the transient crater or the depth of the crater. I had found one paper, but I can't seem to get to the calculation to work.

The original paper that I found was an academic paper written by the authors of the "Impact:Earth!" program. The calculation are quite detailed, but I'm coming up with an error. Obviously, as this moon is without an atmosphere I can completely skip the section about determining atmospheric effects on the impactor.

Here are my questions;

The formula they use is as this: Dtc (Diam. Transient Crater) = 1.161(Pi/Pt)^1/3 L^0.78 Vi^0.44 gE^-0.22 sin^1/3∅

Question 1: Where are they getting the constant of 1.161 from? They state that it should be changed if the impact occurs in water. This isn't the Earth's denisty (5.52 g/cm^3), so what is it? and should it change if the impact is on the lunar surface as opposed to the rocky surface of the Earth?

The rest I get more or less..Pi - Desity of the impactor divdided by Pt - density of the target raised to the 1/3 power. L is the diamter of the impactor raised to 0.78 power. Vi is the velocity of the impactor raised to the 0.44 power. gE is originally Earth's gravity, however, since the impact is on a moon then I would just substitute this value for the lunar gravity and raise that to the negative 0.22 power. But the next section is where I get lost. They want me to take sin to the 1/3 power and multiply it by the angle of attack. However, you can't take 1/3 of sine since sine itself is dependent upon ∅. Right? So shouldn't that last part be ∅Sin^1/3? (or something).

Any help that you guys could offer would be most appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
John Clayborn said:
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm relatively familiar with some astrophysics calculations, but this particular equation is kicking my proverbial butt. I'm currently writing a sci-fi book series and there's an impact that happens on a moon, but I want to be able to realistically calculate what the damage would be.

I have all of the data on the impactor; size, mass, velocity, density (7.85 kg/cm^3: steel), etc. I even have the data on the moon itself. (I already have an excel spreadsheet set up to aid in those calculations). What I cannot determine is the correct equation to use to calculate the diameter of the transient crater or the depth of the crater. I had found one paper, but I can't seem to get to the calculation to work.

The original paper that I found was an academic paper written by the authors of the "Impact:Earth!" program. The calculation are quite detailed, but I'm coming up with an error. Obviously, as this moon is without an atmosphere I can completely skip the section about determining atmospheric effects on the impactor.

Here are my questions;

The formula they use is as this: Dtc (Diam. Transient Crater) = 1.161(Pi/Pt)^1/3 L^0.78 Vi^0.44 gE^-0.22 sin^1/3∅

Question 1: Where are they getting the constant of 1.161 from? They state that it should be changed if the impact occurs in water. This isn't the Earth's denisty (5.52 g/cm^3), so what is it? and should it change if the impact is on the lunar surface as opposed to the rocky surface of the Earth?

The rest I get more or less..Pi - Desity of the impactor divdided by Pt - density of the target raised to the 1/3 power. L is the diamter of the impactor raised to 0.78 power. Vi is the velocity of the impactor raised to the 0.44 power. gE is originally Earth's gravity, however, since the impact is on a moon then I would just substitute this value for the lunar gravity and raise that to the negative 0.22 power. But the next section is where I get lost. They want me to take sin to the 1/3 power and multiply it by the angle of attack. However, you can't take 1/3 of sine since sine itself is dependent upon ∅. Right? So shouldn't that last part be ∅Sin^1/3? (or something).

Any help that you guys could offer would be most appreciated.

Welcome to PF,

I can at least address the very specific math question at the end of your post. Sine is a function, which you can think of as being an operation that acts on a number. It is not itself a number, and therefore it makes no sense to raise it to the one-third power (or any power).
The expression [itex]\sin^{1/3}(\phi)[/itex] means [itex][\sin(\phi)]^{1/3}[/itex]. It's just a shorthand notation. You can think of the expression on the right-hand side as saying, "first take the sine of phi, and then take the result of that and raise it to power of one-third."

As for the impact physics, I'd have to think about that some more. I imagine a general approach would be to compute the kinetic energy of the object just before impact, and then equate that to the gravitational binding energy of the surface material that it has to displace. The latter will depend on the volume of material you consider, which will tell you how big a crater you can make.

That's just a guess on my part.

Thanks for clarifying that, Cepheid. I had a feeling that's what they meant, but it's always nice to have my logic validated by someone else. ;)

Related to Help with calculating an impact on the moon

1. How is the impact of an object calculated on the moon?

The impact of an object on the moon is calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force of impact, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity on the moon. The resulting force is measured in Newtons.

2. What factors affect the impact of an object on the moon?

The impact of an object on the moon is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the object, the composition and density of the moon's surface, and the angle of impact. The moon's lack of atmosphere also plays a significant role in the impact of objects.

3. Can the impact of an object on the moon cause any changes to the moon's surface?

Yes, the impact of an object on the moon can cause changes to the moon's surface, such as craters, fractures, and displacement of surface material. These changes can also have a long-lasting effect on the moon's geological features.

4. How is the impact of an object on the moon different from its impact on Earth?

The impact of an object on the moon is different from its impact on Earth due to the moon's lack of atmosphere and different gravity. This means that objects will not experience air resistance or burn up upon entry, and they will also hit the surface with less force due to the moon's lower gravity.

5. How do scientists use impact calculations on the moon for research?

Scientists use impact calculations on the moon to study the moon's surface and its geological history. By analyzing the size, depth, and location of craters created by impacts, scientists can learn about the frequency and intensity of impact events on the moon and how they have shaped its surface over time.