Elimination of arbitrary constants 2

In summary, to eliminate an arbitrary constant via differentiation, you would first solve for that constant and then differentiate both sides of the equation. For the first problem, the solution is $m= \frac{y \pm \sqrt{y^{2}-4xh}}{2x}$ and for the second problem, the solution is $y=xy'+\frac{h}{y'}$.
bergausstein
eliminate the arbitrary constant,

1. $\displaystyle y=mx+\frac{h}{m}$ h is a parameter, m to be eliminated.2. $cxy+c^2x+4=0$ eliminate c

I don't know where to start please help me get started. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get in both problems when you differentiate with respect to $x$?

for the first problem I get

$m^2-my'+h=0$ is this correct?

bergausstein said:
for the first problem I get

$m^2-my'+h=0$ is this correct?

No, $m$ and $h$ are both constants, right?

but only m is to be eliminated not h. I'm confused.

$m^2-my'+x-y+h=0$ is this right?

bergausstein said:
but only m is to be eliminated not h. I'm confused.

$m^2-my'+x-y+h=0$ is this right?

I am going to assume that $m$ and $h$ are both parameters, and thus are constants. We are given:

\(\displaystyle y=mx+\frac{h}{m}\)

And so differentiating with respect to $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y'=m\)

To eliminate an arbitrary constant via differentiation, I would solve for that constant first:
\begin{align*}
y&=mx+ \frac{h}{m} \\
my&=m^{2}x+h \\
0&=m^{2}x-my+h \\
m&= \frac{y \pm \sqrt{y^{2}-4xh}}{2x}.
\end{align*}
Now differentiate both sides w.r.t. $x$, holding $y=y(x)$.

MarkFL said:
I am going to assume that $m$ and $h$ are both parameters, and thus are constants. We are given:

\(\displaystyle y=mx+\frac{h}{m}\)

And so differentiating with respect to $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y'=m\)

now I see it.

the answer is $\displaystyle y=xy'+\frac{h}{y'}$

Related to Elimination of arbitrary constants 2

What is the "Elimination of Arbitrary Constants 2"?

The "Elimination of Arbitrary Constants 2" is a mathematical concept that involves removing any arbitrary constants from a given equation or expression. It is often used in calculus and differential equations to simplify calculations and find specific solutions.

Why is it important to eliminate arbitrary constants?

Eliminating arbitrary constants allows for a more accurate and specific solution to a mathematical problem. It also helps to simplify complex equations and make them easier to work with.

What is the process for eliminating arbitrary constants?

The process for eliminating arbitrary constants involves finding the derivative of the given equation or expression and setting it equal to zero. This will help identify any arbitrary constants present, which can then be eliminated by solving for them and substituting their values back into the original equation.

What are some practical applications of the elimination of arbitrary constants?

The elimination of arbitrary constants is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields where differential equations are used to model real-world phenomena. It is also used in optimization problems to find the most efficient solution.

Are there any limitations to the elimination of arbitrary constants?

The elimination of arbitrary constants can only be applied to equations or expressions that contain arbitrary constants. It cannot be used for equations with only known variables. Additionally, this method may not always give a unique solution and may require further manipulation or use of other mathematical techniques.