Eliminating constants in a second derivative of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses eliminating constants in a function by taking the derivative twice. The resulting equations can be factored and combined to find a solution where the sum of the three equations is zero. However, the speaker is unable to find the necessary factors to achieve this.
bergausstein

Eliminate the constants

$y=c_1 e^{ax}cosbx +c_2e^{ax}sinbx$

since there's two constants I took the derivative twice

$y'=c_1\left ( -e^{ax}b\sin{bx} + ae^{ax}\cos{bx}\right )+ c_2\left ( e^{ax}b\cos{bx} +ae^{ax}\sin{bx}\right )$

$y''=c_1\left [ \left ( -e^{ax}b^2\cos{bx}-ae^{ax}b\sin{bx}\right) + \left (-ae^{ax}b\sin{bx}+a^2e^{ax}\cos{bx} \right ) \right ]+c_2\left [ \left ( -e^{ax}b^2\sin{bx}+ae^{ax}b\cos{bx}\right )+\left ( ae^{ax}b\cos{bx}+a^2e^{ax}\sin{bx}\right ) \right ]$now I don't know what to do next. please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's factor and combine like terms and line them up as follows:

\(\displaystyle y=c_1e^{ax}\cos(bx)+c_2e^{ax}\sin(bx)\)

\(\displaystyle y'=c_1e^{ax}\left(a\cos(bx)-b\sin(bx) \right)+c_2e^{ax}\left(b\cos(bx)+a\sin(bx) \right)\)

\(\displaystyle y''=c_1e^{ax}\left(\left(a^2-b^2 \right)\cos(bx)-2ab\sin(bx) \right)+c_2e^{ax}\left(2ab\cos(bx)+\left(a^2-b^2 \right)\sin(bx) \right)\)

Now, can you find two factors such that when you multiply the first and second equations by these factors, the resulting sum of the three equations is zero?

bergausstein said:

Eliminate the constants

$y'=c_1\left ( -e^{ax}b\sin{bx} + ae^{ax}\cos{bx}\right )+ c_2\left ( e^{ax}b\cos{bx} +ae^{ax}\sin{bx}\right )$

$y''=c_1\left [ \left ( -e^{ax}b^2\cos{bx}-ae^{ax}b\sin{bx}\right) + \left (-ae^{ax}b\sin{bx}+a^2e^{ax}\cos{bx} \right ) \right ]+c_2\left [ \left ( -e^{ax}b^2\sin{bx}+ae^{ax}b\cos{bx}\right )+\left ( ae^{ax}b\cos{bx}+a^2e^{ax}\sin{bx}\right ) \right ]$now I don't know what to do next. please help me!
Multiply y' by 2a, multiply y by [tex]a^2+ b^2[/tex] and add:
y''+ 2ay'+ (a^2+ b^2)y= 0

- - - Updated - - -

bergausstein said:

Eliminate the constants

Multiply y' by 2a, multiply y by [tex]a^2+ b^2[/tex] and add:
[tex]y''+ 2ay'+ (a^2+ b^2)y[/tex]

MarkFL said:
Let's factor and combine like terms and line them up as follows:

\(\displaystyle y=c_1e^{ax}\cos(bx)+c_2e^{ax}\sin(bx)\)

\(\displaystyle y'=c_1e^{ax}\left(a\cos(bx)-b\sin(bx) \right)+c_2e^{ax}\left(b\cos(bx)+a\sin(bx) \right)\)

\(\displaystyle y''=c_1e^{ax}\left(\left(a^2-b^2 \right)\cos(bx)-2ab\sin(bx) \right)+c_2e^{ax}\left(2ab\cos(bx)+\left(a^2-b^2 \right)\sin(bx) \right)\)

Now, can you find two factors such that when you multiply the first and second equations by these factors, the resulting sum of the three equations is zero?

I can't find it. :(

bergausstein said:
I can't find it. :(

You need not search, you have been provided with the factors. (Tmi)

Related to Eliminating constants in a second derivative of a function

What is the "elimination of constants" in scientific research?

The elimination of constants refers to the process of removing variables or factors that do not significantly contribute to the results of an experiment or study. This allows for a clearer understanding of the relationship between the remaining variables and their effects on the outcome.

Why is the elimination of constants important in scientific research?

The elimination of constants is important because it helps to reduce the complexity of a study and allows researchers to focus on the most relevant factors. This can lead to more accurate and reliable results, as well as a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms at play.

How can constants be identified and eliminated in an experiment?

Constants can be identified through careful planning and design of the experiment. This may involve conducting a pilot study to identify potential confounding factors, or using statistical analysis to determine the significance of certain variables. Constants can then be eliminated by controlling for them through randomization, matching, or statistical methods.

What are the potential drawbacks of eliminating constants in scientific research?

The elimination of constants can sometimes lead to oversimplification of a complex system, which may result in incomplete or inaccurate conclusions. Additionally, eliminating constants may also limit the generalizability of the results to other contexts or populations.

Are there any alternatives to eliminating constants in research?

Yes, instead of eliminating constants, researchers may choose to include them as control variables in their analysis. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the relationships between variables and can help to account for potential confounding factors.