Electron Degeneracy Pressure not Fundamental?

In summary, the Pauli exclusion principle is a property of the overall wave function of a system containing multiple electrons. It does not work the same way as fundamental interactions, such as the E&M force, which work via gauge bosons. The electron degeneracy pressure results from the Pauli exclusion principle and cannot be seen as a fundamental force.
FallenApple
So for what I understand, when a star collapses, the electrons do not like to overlap their quantum states because of the pauli exlusion principle. Is this different from an E&M force? If so, then why isn't it a fundamental interaction? All forces are made of a combination of the 4 fundamental interactions( excluding gravity if you count GR).

If I try to squeeze two electrons together, I would have to push it with the E&M force. They would in turn push back with the EM force as well. But as I amp up the force, the electrons should eventually push back with the electron degeneracy pressure. But that would then be a force out of the fundamental that is pushing back at me.

Physics news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
when a star collapses, the electrons do not like to overlap their quantum states because of the pauli exlusion principle. Is this different from an E&M force?

Yes.

FallenApple said:
why isn't it a fundamental interaction?

Because it doesn't work the same way fundamental interactions like the E&M force work. Those interactions work via gauge bosons--for example, the E&M force gauge boson is the photon. The Pauli exclusion principle doesn't; it's just a property of the overall wave function of a system containing multiple electrons.

FallenApple said:
All forces are made of a combination of the 4 fundamental interactions

Then by this definition the Pauli exclusion principle is not a "force". But that's a matter of words, not physics. You could also say that a "force" is "anything that can push back" (which we could make more precise by saying something like "anything that can produce pressure"), in which case it is no longer true that "all forces are made of a combination of the 4 fundamental interactions", since the Pauli exclusion principle isn't yet it can still produce pressure. Either choice of words is fine, you just have to be aware of the actual physics behind the words.

Likes bhobba
FallenApple said:
If I try to squeeze two electrons together, I would have to push it with the E&M force. They would in turn push back with the EM force as well. But as I amp up the force, the electrons should eventually push back with the electron degeneracy pressure. But that would then be a force out of the fundamental that is pushing back at me.
So called electron degeneracy pressure results from Pauli exclusion principle which states that no two fermions (electrons) can occupy the same quantum state. The same quantum state is not quite the same thing as the same place in ordinary space. Quantum state describes probability density of finding electron at different places within potential. You can't push probability density into some place, instead you can modify probability density by modifying potential well or figuratively speaking you can "drag" electrons into different configuration by modifying potential. So the force you would be exerting would go into modifying potential (squeezing together ions) and not in squeezing together electrons.

Related to Electron Degeneracy Pressure not Fundamental?

1. What is electron degeneracy pressure?

Electron degeneracy pressure is a type of pressure that arises from the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can occupy the same quantum state in an atom. This pressure prevents the collapse of stars and other celestial bodies due to the immense gravitational forces acting on them.

2. Is electron degeneracy pressure a fundamental force?

No, electron degeneracy pressure is not considered a fundamental force. It is a consequence of the Pauli exclusion principle, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. However, it is not a force in the traditional sense, but rather a pressure that counteracts gravitational forces.

3. How does electron degeneracy pressure differ from other types of pressure?

Unlike other types of pressure, such as gas pressure, electron degeneracy pressure does not depend on temperature or the number of particles present. It only depends on the density of electrons and their energy states. Additionally, it can only exist in extremely dense objects, such as white dwarf stars.

4. What is the role of electron degeneracy pressure in stellar evolution?

Electron degeneracy pressure plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of stars. In the early stages of a star's life, it counteracts the inward pull of gravity, preventing the star from collapsing. As the star ages and runs out of fuel, it can no longer produce enough energy to counteract gravity, leading to the collapse of the core and the formation of a white dwarf star.

5. Can electron degeneracy pressure be overcome?

In most cases, electron degeneracy pressure is strong enough to prevent the collapse of celestial bodies. However, in the extreme conditions of a neutron star or black hole, the pressure can be overcome, leading to further collapse. In these cases, other types of forces, such as neutron degeneracy pressure, take over to prevent complete collapse.