Electromagnetism, Auxiliary field

In summary: However, for part ii, the value of H will be different at L and R since M is different, leading to a different B field at each point. In summary, the solutions for parts C and D are correct, and for part ii, the values of H and B will be different at L and R due to the difference in M.
michael2020

Homework Statement

media%2F313%2F31384124-fd31-4745-b95c-5c618a83324f%2Fimage.jpg

I only need help with part C and D

Homework Equations

Curl of B = mu0 J
J = J free + J bound
H = B/mu0 - M

The Attempt at a Solution

For C i, I said they're the same because free current is the same at both points. My argument is that because curl of B (at L) = mu0 Jfree, and @R because Jb = 0, (curl of M = 0) thus , curl of B(at R) = mu0Jfree, thus B field is the same.
for ii, because M is different at the two points, using H = B/mu0 - M, H must be different.
for d, I think they are supposed to equal to each other to have uniform B field. but I'm not exactly sure. Can someone check my solutions above?

Attachments

• media%2F313%2F31384124-fd31-4745-b95c-5c618a83324f%2Fimage.jpg
    media%2F313%2F31384124-fd31-4745-b95c-5c618a83324f%2Fimage.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 671
Physics news on Phys.org

Your solutions for part C and D seem to be correct. In part C, since the free current is the same at both points, the curl of B will also be the same, resulting in the same B field. In part D, for a uniform B field, both H and M should be constant at all points, so their values will be the same at both L and R. This will result in the same B field at both points.

Related to Electromagnetism, Auxiliary field

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and their electric and magnetic fields. It explains the behavior of charged particles and how they produce electric and magnetic forces.

2. What is an auxiliary field in electromagnetism?

An auxiliary field, also known as the auxiliary potential or auxiliary variable, is an additional variable used in the mathematical formulation of electromagnetic theory. It helps simplify the equations by combining the electric and magnetic fields into a single field.

3. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in generators and motors to produce electricity, in power transmission to distribute electricity, in telecommunication for sending and receiving signals, and in technology such as computers and cell phones.

4. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related phenomena. A changing electric field produces a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field produces an electric field. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which form the basis of electromagnetism.

5. What are some real-world examples of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it. Some real-world examples include electric generators, transformers, and induction cooktops.