What is the Energy Transmitted by a Plane EM Wave Passing Through a Window?

In summary, the electric field of a plane EM wave in free space is given by E(z,t)= 50î cos[wt-kz], with w= 6 x 10^15 and k=2x10^7. To calculate the amplitude of the magnetic field (H), we can use the Maxwell curl equation and relate H and B. The amplitude of H is 0.13 A/m. To calculate the energy transmitted by the wave in 30 seconds when passing through a window with dimensions 2mx3m, we can use the average energy equation and the Poyting vector. When the wave is incident normally, the energy transmitted is 0.597 kJ, and when incident at an angle of
Wesley Strik

Homework Statement

In free space, the electric field of a plane EM wave is given by: E(z,t)= 50î cos[wt-kz]
where w= 6 x 10^15
and k=2x10^7
(A) calculate the amplitude of the magnetic field H
How much energy does this wave transmit in 30s when it passes through a window of dimensions 2mx3m if the EM wave is incident:
(b) normally on the window
(c) obliquely at an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the window normal

Homework Equations

Maxwell:
curl E= dB/dt
--------------- relation H and B---
H=B/mu0
mu0=4pi x 10 ^-7
----------------------------------------

The Attempt at a Solution

For (A) I relate the two fields via the Maxwell curl E= dB/dt which yields:
50k j cos(wt-kz) = w B
such that B= 50k/w cos (wt-kz)
the amplitude becomes 50k/w=(10^9)/(6x10^15)= 1/6 x 10^-6
now relate this to H=B/mu0 ---> (1/6 x 10^-6)/(4pi x 10^-7)= (10/6) / (4pi) =0.13 A/m

did I d (A) correclty, does the outcome make sense?
Also, I have no clue how to do (b) and (c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Okay so I found an equation for the average energy of a plane wave:

<S>= Em2/(2 c μ0) where c is the speed of light, mu the magnetic permeability of free space, Em=50 in this case. <S> is the averaged Poyting vector, such that ENERGY=<S> *area* time, which gives me, when I plug in the numbers: (area =3x2, t=30s)

for (b) I get: 0.597 kJ
for (c) I get: Cos[π/6] *0.859=0.517 kJ

*** I checked my Bm field of (a) by checking that Em/Bm=c=3x10^8, which it did, so I assume I can divide by mu naught correctly

Last edited:

Related to What is the Energy Transmitted by a Plane EM Wave Passing Through a Window?

What is the Poynting Vector in physics?

The Poynting Vector is a mathematical concept in physics that describes the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow. It represents the rate at which electromagnetic energy is transferred through a given area.

How is the Poynting Vector calculated?

The Poynting Vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a given point in space.

What is the significance of the Poynting Vector?

The Poynting Vector is significant because it helps to explain the behavior of electromagnetic energy and its interactions with matter. It is also used in various applications, such as in the design of antennas and wireless communication systems.

What are some common problems related to the Poynting Vector?

One common problem related to the Poynting Vector is calculating its direction and magnitude in complex electromagnetic systems. Another problem is understanding its relationship to other electromagnetic quantities, such as electric and magnetic fields.

How is the Poynting Vector used in real-world applications?

The Poynting Vector is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of solar panels, satellite communication systems, and radar systems. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and their effects on the environment.