Electromagnetic induction in a U shaped conductor

In summary, a 0.393 m long metal bar is pulled to the left by an applied force F. The bar is connected to parallel metal rails with a 42.9 ohm resistor, forming a complete circuit. The circuit is in a uniform 0.34 T magnetic field directed out of the plane of the figure. At the instant when the bar is moving to the left at 5.9 m/s, the rate at which the applied force is doing work on the bar is calculated to be either 14.5 mW or 50.4 mW, depending on whether the assumption of constant speed and no friction is made.
FaroukYasser

Homework Statement

[/B]
A 0.393 m long metal bar is pulled to the left by an applied force F. The bar rides on a parallel metal rails connected through a 42.9 ohm resistor as shown in the figure. So the apparatus makes a complete circuit. You can ignore the resistance of the bars and the rails. The circuit is in an uniform 0.34 T magnetic field that is directed out of the plane of the figure. At the instant when the bar is moving to the left at 5.9 m/s. what is the rate at which the applied force is doing work on the bar?

Homework Equations

Emf = -Blv, I = |-Blv|/R = Blv/R. F=ILB

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For my answer, I know that F=ILB but I=BLv/R so F=(B^2*L^2*v)/R. And we know that power = Force * velocity so we get: P = Fv = (BLV)^2/R. I subbed in the values and I got 14.5 mW. However, the textbook disagrees and says its 50.4 mW, where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    468 bytes · Views: 1,210
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your result is correct: Calculated different:

ψ = B * A , ψ is the flux , A is area.

Emf = dψ/dt = B*dA/dt = 0.34T * 0.393m * 5.9m/s.

P = Emf2 / R

The wording of the problem does not necessarily imply that the applied force equals the magnetic force (BLv). For example, the rod could have a nonzero acceleration "at the instant when the bar is moving at 5.9 m/s to the left". The sum of the applied force vector and magnetic force vector would then equal mrod ##\vec{a}## (assuming no friction between the rod and the rails).

Anyway, to get a definite answer it seems natural to make the assumption of constant speed and no friction so that the applied force equals the magnetic force. So, I think your answer is correct.

Related to Electromagnetic induction in a U shaped conductor

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process in which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work in a U shaped conductor?

In a U shaped conductor, the changing magnetic field created by the movement of a magnet near the open end of the U will induce an electric current in the conductor, which can be measured using instruments such as a galvanometer.

3. How is the direction of the induced current determined in a U shaped conductor?

The direction of the induced current in a U shaped conductor is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the movement of the magnet. The current will flow in the direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current in a U shaped conductor?

The magnitude of the induced current in a U shaped conductor is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the movement of the magnet, and the number of turns in the conductor.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction in a U shaped conductor?

Electromagnetic induction in a U shaped conductor is used in many common devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging and electromagnetic braking.