Electrochemistry - Cell Potential

In summary, the question is asking for the potential when the concentration of Fe^(2+) changes by 0.393 M in a cell containing Fe, Fe^(2+), Cd^(2+), and Cd at a temperature of 297 K and a standard cell potential of 0.04 V. The solution involves determining the Q value and using the reaction stoichiometry to calculate the change in concentration of Cd^(2+), but the wording of the question is vague and it is unclear which direction the concentration change should occur in.
ThirdEyeBlind

Homework Statement

Line Notation Fe | Fe^(2+) (0.587) || Cd^(2+) (1.009) | Cd
T = 297 K
E(cell standard) = .04 V

Find the potential when [Fe^(2+) changes by .393 M

Work
Cd^(2+) + Fe --> Cd + Fe^(2+)
Q = [Fe^(2+)] / [Cd^2+]

Q= [.587 + .393] / [1.009-.393]

The Attempt at a Solution

After I got the problem wrong and I worked backwards to get the answer but I am not sure I understand it. When finding the Q value, how do I know to add .393 M to Fe^2+ and subtract .393 M from Cd^(2+)? To me the question is vague and just says changes by .393 M, not increase or decrease so how I know [Fe^2+] must increase?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree, questions is badly worded (or you have not quoted it properly).

I guess what they mean is that reaction in this cell will spontaneously go in one obvious direction (driven by the potential difference, or thermodynamics). That also means you can easily calculate - from the reaction stoichiometry - how much Cd must react if Fe reacts. There is a problem though: I don't know if volumes of both solutions are identical, so "add here subtract here" is in general wrong.

Related to Electrochemistry - Cell Potential

1. What is cell potential in electrochemistry?

Cell potential is a measure of the potential energy difference between two electrodes in an electrochemical cell. It is a key concept in electrochemistry as it determines the direction and strength of the electron flow in a cell.

2. How is cell potential calculated?

Cell potential is calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the reactants and products, as well as the standard electrode potentials of the electrodes. It can also be calculated experimentally by measuring the voltage of the cell.

3. What factors affect cell potential?

Cell potential can be affected by temperature, concentration of reactants and products, and the types of electrodes used. Changes in any of these factors can alter the cell potential and affect the overall reaction.

4. What is the difference between a galvanic cell and an electrolytic cell?

A galvanic cell is a type of electrochemical cell that uses spontaneous redox reactions to produce electrical energy. On the other hand, an electrolytic cell uses an external source of electrical energy to drive a non-spontaneous redox reaction.

5. How is cell potential related to the free energy change of a reaction?

The relationship between cell potential and free energy change is described by the equation: ΔG = -nFE, where ΔG is the change in free energy, n is the number of moles of electrons transferred, F is Faraday's constant, and E is the cell potential. A positive cell potential indicates a spontaneous reaction and a negative ΔG, while a negative cell potential indicates a non-spontaneous reaction and a positive ΔG.