Determining the potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations.

In summary, the problem is asking for a derivation of the overall Nernst equation for a system with two half cells, each with a different [Fe2+], using the standard potential given. The balanced equation provided is used to set up the Nernst equation.
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

I attached a picture and I am confused by Part C.
The standard potential is given Eo=1.21

Homework Equations

Ecell=Eocell-RTlnQ/nF
R=8.3145
T=298.15
F=96485
Q=activity products/ activity reactants

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem with this question is finding Q.

Fe(s) -> Fe2+(aq) + 2e-
Fe3+(aq) + e- -> Fe2+(aq)

Balanced equation (is this right?):
2Fe3+(aq) + Fe(s) -> 3Fe2+(aq)

As suggested in the problem, the [Fe2+] of both half cells are different. Thus I do not know how to set up my Q, assuming that my balanced equation is correct.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
You can derive overall Nernst equation for the system starting with separate Nernst equations for each half cell. Just assume two separate potentials for each half cell initially, and combine them in the final equation - this will be the potential given as a standard one.

1. What is the importance of determining the potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations?

The potential of a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations can provide important information about the energy and direction of chemical reactions taking place within the cell. It can also help in understanding the overall state and function of the cell.

2. How is the potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations determined?

The potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations can be determined by measuring the concentrations of reactants and products in the cell, as well as the electrical potential difference across the cell membrane.

3. What factors can affect the potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations?

The potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors. Additionally, changes in the concentrations of reactants and products can also impact the potential.

4. How can the potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations be used in research or experiments?

The potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations can be used in research or experiments to study the kinetics and thermodynamics of chemical reactions, as well as to understand the role of different substances in cellular processes.

5. Can the potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations be manipulated?

Yes, the potential in a cell that is not at equilibrium concentrations can be manipulated by altering the concentrations of reactants and products, adjusting environmental factors, or using techniques such as electrochemical stimulation. This can help in controlling and studying cellular processes and functions.