AP Electrochemistry Free Response Questions

In summary, the mass of Fe produced in a reduction reaction is directly proportional to the charge of the ions involved. The cell potential in a reaction involving Zn and Pb increases when the concentration of reactants is increased, and the cell potential is the same as the standard potential when the concentrations of Zn²⁺ and Pb²⁺ are equal.
Ur A Nernst

Homework Statement

(i) The mass of Fe(s) produced when 1 faraday is used to reduce a solution of FeSO4 is 1.5 times the mass of Fe(s) produced when 1 faraday is used to reduce a solution of FeCl3.

Zn + Pb²⁺ (1.0M) --> Zn²⁺ (1.0M) + Pb

(ii) The cell that utilitzed the reaction above has a higher potential when [Zn²⁺] is decreased and [Pb²⁺] held constant, but a lower potential when [Pb²⁺] is decreased and [Zn²⁺] is held constant.

(iii) The cell that utilizes the reaction given in (ii) has the same cell potential as another cell in which [Zn²⁺] and [Pb²⁺] are each .10M.

Homework Equations

E = E naught - (.0592/n)logQ
Where E naught is the cell potential at 1 molar volume for each solution, 25 degrees C, and 1 atm.
n = number of electrons lost or gained
Q = (Products)^[coefficient] / (reactants)^[coefficient]

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I believe it has something to do with the charge; the charge on Fe is 2+ in FeSO₄ and 3+ on FeCl₃. But I'm just rambling.

(ii) I wasn't sure; according to LeChatlier's principle, as the concentration of reactants increase.. oh wait, I see now. The product is being reduced, so the reactants are higher, so the cell potential goes up.

(iii) I guess in using the Nernst Equation, Q would still be the same as if (.1)^1/(.1)^1 = 1

E = E naught - (.0592/n)logQ
Q = (.1) ^ 1 / (.1) ^ 1
Q = 1
log(1) = 0
E naught - 0 = E
E naught = E

Correct me if I'm wrong (I have no idea about #1, and as I typed I gained knowledge about #2 and 3.)

Physics news on Phys.org

(i) Your reasoning about the charge is correct. The mass of the product is directly proportional to the number of electrons transferred, which is related to the charge of the ions involved in the reaction. In this case, FeSO4 has a charge of 2+ while FeCl3 has a charge of 3+, so the mass of Fe produced would be greater in the FeSO4 solution.

(ii) Your understanding of LeChatlier's principle is correct. When the concentration of reactants is increased, the equilibrium shifts towards the products, resulting in a higher cell potential. In this case, as the concentration of Zn²⁺ decreases, the equilibrium shifts towards the products, resulting in a higher cell potential.

(iii) Your calculation using the Nernst equation is correct. Since the concentrations of Zn²⁺ and Pb²⁺ are equal, the value of Q is 1, resulting in E = E naught. This means that the cell potential is the same as the standard potential of the cell.

Related to AP Electrochemistry Free Response Questions

What is AP Electrochemistry?

AP Electrochemistry is a subfield of chemistry that focuses on the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It involves the use of chemical reactions to generate or store electrical energy, as well as the use of electrical energy to drive chemical reactions.

What are "Free Response Questions" in AP Electrochemistry?

Free Response Questions (FRQs) are a type of question in the AP Chemistry exam that require students to apply their knowledge of electrochemistry to real-world scenarios. These questions typically involve multiple steps and may require students to draw diagrams, interpret data, and explain their reasoning.

How many "Free Response Questions" are there in the AP Chemistry exam?

There are typically 7-8 Free Response Questions in the AP Chemistry exam, with at least one question specifically focused on electrochemistry. These questions make up 50% of the total score for the exam.

What skills are necessary to excel in "AP Electrochemistry Free Response Questions"?

To excel in AP Electrochemistry Free Response Questions, students should have a strong understanding of electrochemical concepts such as oxidation-reduction reactions, redox reactions, and electrochemical cells. They should also be able to apply this knowledge to real-world scenarios and effectively communicate their reasoning and calculations.

How can I prepare for "AP Electrochemistry Free Response Questions"?

To prepare for AP Electrochemistry Free Response Questions, students should practice solving similar types of questions, review electrochemical concepts and equations, and familiarize themselves with the format and expectations of the AP Chemistry exam. It is also helpful to work on time management skills and review any feedback from previous FRQs.