Electrical vs Electronic engineering difficulty

In summary: Schools give MSc degrees for Electronic Engineering. The BSc is Electrical Engineering. No matter what you choose, there will be a lot of math. If Math scares you, Engineering is not for you.
TheRedDevil18
Hi guys, I have completed my first year engineering courses and about to start my second year. I enrolled for computer engineering but have decided to change to either electrical or electronic engineering. So my main question is which is more harder between the two ? I know the main differences is that the electrical guys learn power machines and high voltage systems which I heard involves allot of calculus. Electronic is more about signal processing and smaller circuits. The thing is I love computers which is why I chose computer engineering, but then I felt I needed something more broader. I'm not extremely bad in calculus, I passed with 68% in my first year so rather average

So main question, which is more difficult ?, and is electronic similar to computer engineering ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, goofs in Electrical Engineering tend to be more spectacular...

Likes CalcNerd
Typically, electronic engineering is a lite version of electrical engineering. As such, you may want to browse monster.com to see if it is really an acceptable degree for the types of jobs you are interested in.

Schools give MSc degrees for Electronic Engineering. The BSc is Electrical Engineering. No matter what you choose, there will be a lot of math. If Math scares you, Engineering is not for you.

TheRedDevil18 said:
. So my main question is which is more harder between the two ? I know the main differences is that the electrical guys learn power machines and high voltage systems which I heard involves allot of calculus. Electronic is more about signal processing and smaller circuits.

So main question, which is more difficult ?, and is electronic similar to computer engineering ?

FYI, both signal processing and circuit design are all about the calculus.

I feel the competition for Electrical Engineering is less because so many EE undergraduates focus on circuits and PCB board design. That is kind of what many universities teach and feel best helps the students. Upon graduation this leaves them in a poor position to interview when they get out and find all types of openings/opportunities in power and they have no real knowledge except how to calculate rudimentary 3 phase power from 2-3 chapters from an introductory EE text.

Related to Electrical vs Electronic engineering difficulty

1. What is the main difference between electrical and electronic engineering?

Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics, while electronic engineering focuses specifically on the design and development of electronic circuits and devices.

2. Which field is more difficult, electrical or electronic engineering?

Both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, but electronic engineering can be considered more difficult due to its focus on complex circuits and microelectronics.

3. What are some common challenges faced by electrical and electronic engineers?

Some common challenges faced by both electrical and electronic engineers include troubleshooting complex systems, designing for reliability and safety, and keeping up with rapidly advancing technology.

4. Is it possible to switch between electrical and electronic engineering fields?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these two fields as they share a lot of common knowledge and skills. However, additional education and training may be required to make the transition.

5. What career opportunities are available for electrical and electronic engineers?

Electrical and electronic engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as power generation, telecommunications, computer hardware, and consumer electronics. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and management positions.