From Mechatronics To Electronics

In summary: I decided to pursue this degree as I wanted to learn about many areas of engineering. When I chose this degree I just could not make up my mind on which side of engineering to follow so I attempted to go after everything.At the end of university I came to the painful conclusion that trying to learn from several branches of engineering results in learning almost nothing, at least for me. I mean, I learned a lot but not enough to consider myself good at something. Thinking a little bit deeper I realized electronics would be the best subject for me to specialize in, since my first electromagnetism lecture I absolutely loved things that had to do with electrons and its applications, building electronics is also relatively cheap practically speaking, at least here
Guidestone
Hello people. I recently finished studying mechatronics engineering. I decided to pursue this degree as I wanted to learn about many areas of engineering. When I chose this degree I just could not make up my mind on which side of engineering to follow so I attempted to go after everything.

At the end of university I came to the painful conclusion that trying to learn from several branches of engineering results in learning almost nothing , at least for me. I mean, I learned a lot but not enough to consider myself good at something. Thinking a little bit deeper I realized electronics would be the best subject for me to specialize in, since my first electromagnetism lecture I absolutely loved things that had to do with electrons and its applications, building electronics is also relatively cheap practically speaking, at least here in Mexico.

Sometimes I seriously consider studying electronics engineering, in those moments I almost don't care about the time it would take or the money to invest, I'm just lost in the haze of the fantasy. The problem with this is obviously the two things mentioned before, also, I got a job, it doesn't have much to do with electronics, its more about blackbox testing and therefore I'm learning zero stuff about electronics.

I try to spend my free time reading technical books. I can say I'm really good learning on my own, I'm just not sure if I could ever be as good as a true electronic engineer. I'm not sure what to do, I think my best option would be following a masters degree in electronic engineering, no idea. Any idea would be really appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked into Arduino or Raspberry-pi as a means to expand your electronics and programming knowledge since so much recent technology is digital?

Guidestone said:
Hello people. I recently finished studying mechatronics engineering.

Does this mean you have a full undergraduate degree?

What type of classes did you take. I know a few people that did mechatronics that have a very good electronics background.

Related to From Mechatronics To Electronics

1. What is the difference between mechatronics and electronics?

Mechatronics is an interdisciplinary field that combines mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to design and create smart systems. Electronics, on the other hand, is a branch of engineering that focuses on the study and application of electrical circuits and devices. In simple terms, mechatronics deals with the integration of mechanical and electrical systems, while electronics focuses on the study of electronic components and their behavior.

2. How are mechatronics and electronics related?

Mechatronics and electronics are closely related as both fields involve the use of electronic components and systems. However, mechatronics also incorporates mechanical and computer systems to create intelligent machines. Many electronic devices, such as smartphones and computers, also use mechatronic principles in their design and functionality.

3. What are some common applications of mechatronics?

Mechatronics is used in a wide range of industries, including automotive, manufacturing, aerospace, and healthcare. Some common applications of mechatronics include robotics, automated systems, smart devices, and control systems. It is also used in the development of advanced technologies, such as self-driving cars and artificial intelligence.

4. What skills are needed to work in the field of mechatronics?

Mechatronics requires a combination of skills from various disciplines, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, and control systems. It is essential to have a strong understanding of electronics, mechanics, and programming to work in this field. Good problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills are also crucial for a successful career in mechatronics.

5. What are the future prospects for mechatronics and electronics?

The future looks bright for both mechatronics and electronics, as these fields are continuously growing and evolving. With the rise of smart technologies and automation, the demand for professionals with mechatronics and electronics skills is expected to increase. Additionally, advancements in fields such as artificial intelligence and renewable energy will create new opportunities for those with expertise in these areas.