Elastic energy of a bent steel rod

In summary, the elastic energy of a bent rod can be approximated as U[y] = \int_{0}^{L} \frac{1}{2}YI(y'')^2 dz, where Y is the Young's modulus of the steel and I is the moment of inertia of the rod's cross section. The radius of curvature, R, can be used to calculate the elastic energy per unit length, u=\frac{1}{2}YI/R^{2}. To find the infinitesimal rod length, \sqrt{1+(y')^2} dz can be used, and the mathematical expression for the radius of curvature can also be applied.
cedricyu803

Homework Statement

[Math. for Physicists, M. Stone Problem 1.4]

Assume that a rod of length L is only slightly bent into the yz plane and lies close to the z axis, show that the elastic energy can be approximated as
[tex]U[y]= \int_{0}^{L} \frac{1}{2}YI(y'')^2 dz[/tex]

Homework Equations

It is given that the elastic energy per unit length of a bent rod , [tex]u=\frac{1}{2}YI/R^{2}[/tex]
R is the radius of curvature due to the bending, Y is the Young's modulus of the steel and I is the moment of inertia of the rod's cross section about an axis through its centroid and
perpendicular to the plane in which the rod is bent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite get the picture.
Does it mean that each infinitesimal piece is a segment of a circle R with a different center? Or should I consider the whole bent rod as a segment of a circle of radius R?

But still the infinitesimal rod length should be [tex]\sqrt{1+(y')^2} dz[/tex], so how can I get [tex]y''^2 [/tex]?

Thank you very much!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person

Related to Elastic energy of a bent steel rod

What is elastic energy?

Elastic energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is bent, stretched, or compressed.

How is elastic energy related to a bent steel rod?

A bent steel rod contains elastic energy because it has been deformed from its original shape, causing potential energy to be stored within the material.

What factors affect the amount of elastic energy in a bent steel rod?

The amount of elastic energy in a bent steel rod is affected by the material properties, such as its Young's modulus, as well as the amount of deformation and the shape and size of the rod.

How can elastic energy be released from a bent steel rod?

Elastic energy can be released from a bent steel rod by allowing the rod to return to its original shape, through processes such as bending it back or releasing it from a compressive or tensile load.

What are some practical applications of understanding the elastic energy of a bent steel rod?

Understanding the elastic energy of a bent steel rod can be useful in engineering and construction industries, as it allows for the prediction and control of the behavior of materials under different loads and conditions. It can also be used in the design of structures and machines that require flexibility and resilience.