Elastic Collision of Two Objects (2D)

In summary, two objects with masses of 17g and 35g collide elastically with the 17g object moving to the right at 32 cm/s and the 35g object moving in the same direction at 12 cm/s. The velocity of the slower object after the collision can be found using the equation (17*32)+(35*12)=(17*x)+(35*y), where x represents the velocity of the slower object and y represents the velocity of the faster object. By substituting the expression for y from the second equation (0.5ma*(va1)^2+0.5mb*(vb1)^2 = 0.5ma*(va2)^2+ 0.5mb*(vb2
Hermit Solmu

Homework Statement

A 17g object moving to the right at 32 cm/s overtakes and collides elastically with a 35g object moving in the same direction at 12 cm/s. Find the velocity of the slower object after the collision. Answer in cm/s.

B) Find the velocity of the faster object after the collision. Answer in cm/s.

Homework Equations

(ma1*va1)+(mb1*vb1)=(ma2*va2)+(mb2*mb2)

.5((ma1*va1)^2+(mb1*vb1)^2)=.5((ma2*va2)^2+(mb2*mb2)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(17*32)+(35*12)=(17*x)+(35*y)

And since I have two variables, I'm not sure how to solve for either of them. I tried solving for one in terms of the other...

(928-17x)/35=y

But that wasn't the answer my instructor was looking for. Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hermit Solmu said:
(ma1*va1)+(mb1*vb1)=(ma2*va2)+(mb2*mb2)
OK.

.5((ma1*va1)^2+(mb1*vb1)^2)=.5((ma2*va2)^2+(mb2*mb2)^2)
You have typos in this one. Each term should be ½mv², not ½(mv)².

The Attempt at a Solution

(17*32)+(35*12)=(17*x)+(35*y)
So far, so good.

And since I have two variables, I'm not sure how to solve for either of them. I tried solving for one in terms of the other...

(928-17x)/35=y
Now use your 2nd equation, the one for energy conservation. (2 unknowns requires 2 equations. Luckily you have 2 equations.)

So you're saying my second equation should be .5m^2+.5v^2=.5m2^2+.5v2^2?

And then just set the Y equal to each other, then do the same thing with the X?

Hermit Solmu said:
So you're saying my second equation should be .5m^2+.5v^2=.5m2^2+.5v2^2?
No, it should be:
0.5ma*(va1)^2+0.5mb*(vb1)^2 = 0.5ma*(va2)^2+ 0.5mb*(vb2)^2

(Of course, you call va2 = X and vb2 = Y.)

If you substitute the expression you found from the first equation, which gave you Y in terms of X, into this equation, then you can solve for X. And then use it to get Y.

after we have this equation: let's call in 1 ->(17*32)+(35*12)=(17*x)+(35*y)
we also use (V1i-V2i)=-(v1f-v2f) => 32-12+v1f=v2f -(2)

sub equation 2 into 1 and we get the final answer
am i correct?
pls advice :D

phynoob said:
we also use (V1i-V2i)=-(v1f-v2f) => 32-12+v1f=v2f -(2)
Yes, you can definitely use that relationship. The relative velocity is reversed in an elastic collision. Note that this relationship is derived from momentum and energy conservation. It's certainly quicker to use this formula, since much of the work has been done for you.

But some courses do not cover it, so I didn't want to bring it up. (You can always derive it for yourself, of course. :wink:)

Related to Elastic Collision of Two Objects (2D)

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and there is a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or other factors.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in a 2D elastic collision?

The equation is:
vf1 = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (2*m2)/(m1+m2) * v2i
vf2 = (2*m1)/(m1+m2) * v1i + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2) * v2i
where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and vf1 and vf2 are the final velocities.

4. Is there any real-life example of an elastic collision?

Yes, a common example is the collision between two billiard balls on a pool table. The balls bounce off each other in an elastic collision, conserving both momentum and kinetic energy.

5. Can an elastic collision occur in three dimensions?

Yes, the concept of elastic collision applies to all dimensions. The equations for calculating the final velocities in a 3D elastic collision are more complex, but the principle of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy still applies.