Calculate the final velocity of each cart after a collision

In summary, the final velocity of each cart after a collision can be calculated using the formula Vf = (m1 * V1i + m2 * V2i) / (m1 + m2), where Vf is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two carts, and V1i and V2i are the initial velocities of the two carts. It is important to calculate the final velocity after a collision because it helps understand energy transfer and momentum conservation. The type of collision can affect the final velocity, with elastic collisions conserving kinetic energy and inelastic collisions causing a loss of kinetic energy. The mass of the objects also plays a critical role in determining the final velocity, with heavier
rrosa522

Homework Statement

Cart 1 has a mass of 1.5 kg and is moving on a track at 36.5 cm/s [E] toward cart 2. The mass of cart 2 is 5 kg, and it is moving toward cart 1 at 42.8 cm/s [W]. The carts collide. The collision is cushioned by a Hooke's law spring, making it an elastic head-on collision. Calculate the final velocity of each cart after collision.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged all my values into the head-on elastic collision formulas and I got vi1=84cm/s but the answer in the book is 3.15cm/s. I am really sure I have the right answer. Is there a mistake in the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not liking any of the answers, yours or the book's (although yours looks somewhat better :smile: )

Can you show your work in detail?

Last edited:
rrosa522 said:

Homework Statement

Cart 1 has a mass of 1.5 kg and is moving on a track at 36.5 cm/s [E] toward cart 2. The mass of cart 2 is 5 kg, and it is moving toward cart 1 at 42.8 cm/s [W]. The carts collide. The collision is cushioned by a Hooke's law spring, making it an elastic head-on collision. Calculate the final velocity of each cart after collision.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged all my values into the head-on elastic collision formulas and I got vi1=84cm/s but the answer in the book is 3.15cm/s. I am really sure I have the right answer. Is there a mistake in the book?
Are you sure about the mass of cart 2?

The answer in the text I believe is incorrect I got -85cm/s like u

Physicsfailure123 said:
The answer in the text I believe is incorrect I got -85cm/s like u
Can you show your work in detail? (I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with your conclusion, but we don't simply confirm/deny answers here).

The book answer would be correct if either cart 1 had a mass of 15kg or cart 2 a mass of .5kg.

Likes gneill
The elastic collision impulse (calculated using formula Δp=2μΔv) is 1.83 Ns. Can be subtracted from the pre-collision momentum of each cart to find the final momentum and hence velocity. Seems to agree - more or less - with answer of -84 (-85) cm/s obtained by OP and PhysicsFailure123 (for Cart 1).

neilparker62 said:
The elastic collision impulse (calculated using formula Δp=2μΔv) is 1.83 Ns. Can be subtracted from the pre-collision momentum of each cart to find the final momentum and hence velocity. Seems to agree - more or less - with answer of -84 (-85) cm/s obtained by OP and PhysicsFailure123 (for Cart 1).
I think it is fairly clear there is either an extra decimal point or, more likely, a missing one in the given data. See post #6.

Likes neilparker62
haruspex said:
I think it is fairly clear there is either an extra decimal point or, more likely, a missing one in the given data. See post #6.
Yes, if we take cart 1 to have mass 15kg , then the collision impulse Δp will be ##594.75 \times 10^{-2}Ns ## and subtracting this from the initial momentum of cart 1 will lead to the book answer of 3.15cm/s (west) for final velocity of cart 1.

Related to Calculate the final velocity of each cart after a collision

1. How do you calculate the final velocity of each cart after a collision?

The final velocity of each cart after a collision can be calculated using the formula: Vf = (m1 * V1i + m2 * V2i) / (m1 + m2), where Vf is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two carts, and V1i and V2i are the initial velocities of the two carts.

2. What is the importance of calculating the final velocity after a collision?

Calculating the final velocity after a collision is important because it helps us understand the energy transfer and momentum conservation during the collision. It also helps us predict the motion of the objects after the collision.

3. Does the type of collision affect the final velocity?

Yes, the type of collision can affect the final velocity. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy is conserved, and the final velocity of each object is dependent on their masses and initial velocities. In an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy, and the final velocity of each object is also dependent on the objects' masses and initial velocities.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the final velocity?

The mass of the objects plays a critical role in determining the final velocity after a collision. The heavier object will have a lower final velocity, while the lighter object will have a higher final velocity, assuming the initial velocities are the same.

5. Can the final velocity of each object be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, in certain cases, the final velocity of each object can be greater than the initial velocity. This can happen in an inelastic collision when the objects stick together after the collision, and their combined mass is lower than the mass of one of the objects. In this case, the final velocity will be greater than the initial velocity of the lighter object.