What Are the Velocities of Two Blocks After an Elastic Collision?

In summary, the problem involves two blocks colliding on a frictionless surface with initial velocities of 1m/s and masses of 0.05kg and 0.03kg. The speed of both blocks after the collision can be found using the conservation of momentum and energy equations, as well as the equation va + va' = vb + vb', which can be derived from the other two equations. The expected solution is 0.5m/s and 2m/s.
Carlitos

Homework Statement

Two blocks collide on a perfectly elastic collision, after sliding on a frictionless surface.
va = 1m/s
vb = 1m/s
ma = 0.05kg
mb = 0.03kb

I need to find the speed of both blocks after the crash.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum: mava+mbvb = mava' + mbvb'
Conservation of energy: 1/2mava^2 + 1/2mbvb^2 = 1/2mava'^2 + 1/2mbvb'^2

General solution for these two equations: -(vb−va)=vb'-va'

Refer to this thread for cool formatting of these equations (i don't really know how to do that):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/elastic-collision.753780/

I don't really understand where that last equation comes from or how to get there.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the conservation of momentum:

mava+mbvb = mava' + mbvb'
0.05kg.1m/s + 0.03kg.1m/s = 0.05kg.va' + 0.03kg.vb'
0.08ms = 0.05va' + 0.03vb' (*)

Then on the third equation:

-(vb−va)=vb'-va'
-(-1m/s - 1m/s) = vb'-va'
2m/s = vb'-va'
2m/s +va' = vb'

Then i plug this on (*) and i get

0.08m/s = 0.05va' + 0.03(2m/s + va')
0.08m/s = 0.05va' + 0.06m/s + 0.03va'
0.02m/s = 0.08va'
0.25m/s = va'

then vb' = 2.25m/s

The expected solution is 0.5m/s and 2m/s .

So my two questions are, am i doing something wrong here? And how do i get to the third equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Carlitos said:

Homework Statement

Two blocks collide on a perfectly elastic collision, after sliding on a frictionless surface.
va = 1m/s
vb = 1m/s
ma = 0.05kg
mb = 0.03kb

I need to find the speed of both blocks after the crash.

If both blocks have the same velocity they never collide. Check the problem text.
Carlitos said:

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum: mava+mbvb = mava' + mbvb'
Conservation of energy: 1/2mava^2 + 1/2mbvb^2 = 1/2mava'^2 + 1/2mbvb'^2

General solution for these two equations: -(vb−va)=vb'-va'
It is not true.
Carlitos said:
Refer to this thread for cool formatting of these equations (i don't really know how to do that):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/elastic-collision.753780/

I don't really understand where that last equation comes from or how to get there.

That third equation is wrong. You get the correct one by arranging both the first and second equations that quantities labelled by "a" are on one side and those labelled by "b" are on the other side.

##m_a (v_a-v_a' ) = - m_b(v_b-v_b') ## *
##m_a(v_a^2-v_a'^2)= - m_b(v_b^2-v_b'^2) ## **
Factorize the second equation and divide it by the first one: you get a third equation
[tex]v_a+v_a' =v_b+v_b'[/tex]

Thanks for the answer, my bad on that veocity, vb should be -1 m/s.

Then technically va + va' = vb + vb'
is the same as -(vb − va)=vb' - va'.

I see how to find that equation now.

Carlitos said:
Thanks for the answer, my bad on that veocity, vb should be -1 m/s.

Then technically va + va' = vb + vb'
is the same as -(vb − va)=vb' - va'.

Sorry, I misread your equation, they are the same

Related to What Are the Velocities of Two Blocks After an Elastic Collision?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision rebound off each other without any loss of energy. This is in contrast to an inelastic collision where some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

2. How is the velocity of objects calculated in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the velocities of the objects before and after the collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the mass and velocity of each object and their respective directions of motion.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

The main difference between elastic and inelastic collisions is that in an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. Additionally, in an elastic collision, the objects involved rebound off each other, while in an inelastic collision, they may stick together or deform.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. It ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a perfectly inelastic collision. The higher the coefficient of restitution, the more elastic the collision will be, and the more kinetic energy will be conserved.

5. Can an elastic collision occur in real life?

While it is difficult to achieve a perfectly elastic collision in real life, elastic collisions do occur in many everyday situations. For example, when two billiard balls collide on a pool table, the collision is considered to be nearly elastic. However, due to factors such as friction and air resistance, some energy will still be lost in the form of heat and sound.