Comparison of velocity at the end of distance

In summary, the conversation discusses two carts of equal mass traveling equal distances with different constant forces acting on them. The final velocities of the carts are related by vB = √2 * vA. The answer is obtained through calculations using the equations F = ma, x = vot + 0.5at^2, and Vf = Vo + at, or by considering energy.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

Carts A and B have equal masses and travel equal distances D on side-by-side straight frictionless tracks while a constant force F acts on A and a constant force 2F acts on B. Both carts start from rest. The velocities vA and vB of the bodies at the end of distance D are related by

a.vB = vA.

b.vB = vA.

c.vB = 2 vA.

d.vB = 4 vA.

e.vA = 2vB.

Homework Equations

F = ma
x = vot + 0.5 at^2
Vf = Vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer is B but I have no clue why
First, I just picked a random number to make it easier. I picked acceleration of 2m/s^2 for A and 4m/s^2 for B (since it has twice more force than A)
and I picked x as 1m
Then I'll get
1 = 0 + 0.5 * 2 * t^2, t = 1 for A
1 = 0 + 0.5 * 4 * t^2, t = 0.707 for B
If I plug this into Vf = V0 + at
Vf = 2 for A
Vf = 2.83 for B...
To me vB = vA doesn't make sense.. Can anyone help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Was there any information given regarding the directions of the forces?

Answers a. and b. are the same. Are you sure b. isn't something else?

Your calculations are correct. Can you see a way to generalise them to get the answer?

Likes gijungkim
TSny said:
Was there any information given regarding the directions of the forces?
That is exactly what question stated. I copied and pasted it.

PeroK said:
Answers a. and b. are the same. Are you sure b. isn't something else?

Your calculations are correct. Can you see a way to generalise them to get the answer?
Probably the answer is wrong haha I'm just using random questions from the internet to practice so.

gijungkim said:
Probably the answer is wrong haha I'm just using random questions from the internet to practice so.

It would be good practice to get the answer for this without multiple choice.

You could generalise the calculations you've already done. Or you could consider energy.

Likes gijungkim
PeroK said:
It would be good practice to get the answer for this without multiple choice.

You could generalise the calculations you've already done. Or you could consider energy.
Is the answer V2 = sqrt 2 * V1 ?

gijungkim said:
Is the answer V2 = sqrt 2 * V1 ?

It is!

Likes gijungkim
PeroK said:
It is!
Thank you! :)

Related to Comparison of velocity at the end of distance

What is "Comparison of velocity at the end of distance"?

"Comparison of velocity at the end of distance" is a scientific concept that compares the velocities of two objects at the end of a certain distance. It is often used to understand the relative speed and momentum of objects in motion.

How is the velocity at the end of distance calculated?

The velocity at the end of distance is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as average velocity and is expressed in units of distance per time (e.g. meters per second).

Why is "Comparison of velocity at the end of distance" important in science?

"Comparison of velocity at the end of distance" is important in science because it allows us to analyze and understand the motion of objects in a quantitative way. It can help us make predictions about the future motion of objects and understand the forces acting upon them.

What are some real-world applications of "Comparison of velocity at the end of distance"?

Some real-world applications of "Comparison of velocity at the end of distance" include sports analysis, traffic flow analysis, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies in space. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize the speed and efficiency of machines and vehicles.

How does "Comparison of velocity at the end of distance" differ from "Comparison of average velocity"?

While "Comparison of velocity at the end of distance" compares the velocities of two objects at a specific point in time, "Comparison of average velocity" compares the overall average velocities of two objects over a certain distance. The former provides a snapshot of the objects' velocities, while the latter takes into account the entire duration of their motion.