Elastic Collision and speed of a ball

In summary, the problem involves a 120 g ball moving to the right at 4.5 m/s colliding with a 420 g ball moving to the right at 1.2 m/s. If the collision is perfectly elastic, the speed of the 420 g ball after the collision can be found using the equation m_1v_{1i}+}m_2v_{2i} = m_1v_{1f}+m_2v_{2f}. The attempt at a solution involved manipulating the equation to solve for v2_f and plugging in the given numbers. However, there were discrepancies with the result and the conservation of momentum may be the correct equation for this problem.
Atlos

Homework Statement

A 120 g ball moving to the right at 4.5 m/s catches up and collides with a 420 g ball that is moving to the right at 1.2 m/s.

If the collision is perfectly elastic, what is the speed of the 420 g ball after the collision?

Homework Equations

[tex]m_1v_{1i}+}m_2v_{2i} = m_1v_{1f}+m_2v_{2f} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I manipulated the formula a little bit to solve for V2_f and came up with this:
[tex](m_1v_{1i}+}m_2v_{2i} - m_1v_{1f}) / m_2[/tex]

then I plugged in my numbers:
(.12*4.5 + .42*1.2 - .12*.63) / .42

simplified to this:
(.54 + .504 - .0756) / .42

and got 2.3057. Mastering physics said that is wrong however and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is the conservation of momentum the correct equation for this problem? I found the velocity of the 120 gram ball fine, which was .63 m/s, but am stuck on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Atlos, welcome to PF.
How did you get v1f = 0.63 m/s?

I came to find v1f by using the following equation:

[tex][(m_1-m_2) / (m_1+m_2) ]v_{1i} + [2m_2 / (m_1+m_2]v_{2i}[/tex]

A useful fact for straight line elastic collision is that

v_2b - v_1b = - (v_2a - v_1a)

v_1a = velocity of m1 before collision
v_1b = velocity of m1 after collision etc.

Relative velocity before the collision is the same as after, just opposite in sign.

Related to Elastic Collision and speed of a ball

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. How does the speed of a ball change during an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the speed of a ball changes based on the mass and velocity of the objects involved. The speed of the ball after the collision can be calculated using the equation: v2 = (2*m1*v1)/(m1+m2), where v1 is the initial velocity of the ball, m1 is the mass of the ball, and m2 is the mass of the other object.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound. In an inelastic collision, the objects involved stick together after the collision, while in an elastic collision, they bounce off each other.

4. How does the speed of a ball change in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the speed of the ball decreases due to the loss of kinetic energy. The amount of energy lost depends on the type of collision and the materials involved. The final speed of the ball can be calculated using the equation: v2 = (m1*v1)/(m1+m2), where v1 is the initial velocity of the ball, m1 is the mass of the ball, and m2 is the mass of the other object.

5. Can an elastic collision occur in real life?

Yes, elastic collisions can occur in real life, although they are rare as most collisions involve some loss of kinetic energy. Examples of elastic collisions include collisions between gas molecules in a container and collisions between atoms in a solid material.