Proof of KE loss in inelastic collision

In summary, "Proof of KE loss in inelastic collision" refers to the evidence of the decrease in kinetic energy during a collision between two objects. The KE loss can be calculated using the equation KE loss = KE initial - KE final, and can be affected by factors such as mass, speed, and material. Understanding KE loss is important for predicting and analyzing collisions in various systems. KE cannot be gained in an inelastic collision, as some of the initial energy is converted into other forms.
Xizel

Homework Statement

Prove that a perfectly inelastic collision loses more kinetic energy than a partially inelastic collision. Given: $$m_1, m_2, v_{1i}, v_{2i}, v_{1f}, v_{2f}$$

Homework Equations

$$KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

From conservation of momentum:
$$P_{inelastic} : m_1v_{1i} + m_2v_{2i} = (m_1 + m_2)v_f$$
$$P_{partial} : m_1v_{1i} + m_2v_{2i} = m_1v_{1f} + m_2v_{2f}$$

I'm not sure how to progress from this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare energy before collision with energy after collision for each case.

Related to Proof of KE loss in inelastic collision

1. What is "Proof of KE loss in inelastic collision"?

"Proof of KE loss in inelastic collision" refers to the mathematical and scientific evidence that shows the decrease in kinetic energy that occurs during an inelastic collision between two objects.

2. How is the KE loss calculated in an inelastic collision?

The KE loss in an inelastic collision can be calculated using the equation KE loss = KE initial - KE final, where KE initial is the kinetic energy of the system before the collision and KE final is the kinetic energy of the system after the collision.

3. What factors affect the amount of KE loss in an inelastic collision?

The amount of KE loss in an inelastic collision can be affected by factors such as the masses of the objects involved, the speed and direction of their motion, and the type of material they are made of. Friction and other external forces can also play a role in the amount of KE loss.

4. Why is it important to understand KE loss in inelastic collisions?

Understanding KE loss in inelastic collisions is important because it helps scientists and engineers predict and analyze the behavior of objects during collisions. This information is crucial for designing safe and efficient systems, such as car crashes and industrial machinery.

5. Can KE be gained in an inelastic collision?

No, KE cannot be gained in an inelastic collision. Inelastic collisions are characterized by a decrease in kinetic energy, as some of the initial energy is converted into other forms, such as heat or sound. This is in contrast to elastic collisions, where kinetic energy is conserved and can be transferred between objects.