Einstein Quote: Did He Decline Presidency of Israel?

• Thread starter fys iks!
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, Albert Einstein declined the offer to be the president of Israel due to his age and pacifist beliefs. He was offered the role by David Ben-Gurion, but ultimately declined and Chaim Weizmann became the first president of Israel instead. While Einstein did have ties to Israel and supported Zionism, he did not have any personal connections to the country. In his response to the offer, Einstein expressed his gratitude and explained his reasons for declining the role.
fys iks!
I can't remember was was it Einstein who said something along the lines of "my politics will last a lifetime whereas my equations will last forever" when decline to be president of Israel.

can anyone confirm this for me?\

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity."

Einstein.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

Has it and this * Helle Zeit, Dunkle Zeit: In Memoriam Albert Einstein (1956) edited by Carl Seelig, p. 71.

Last edited:
thanks a lot man! Really helped out a lot.

Related to Einstein Quote: Did He Decline Presidency of Israel?

1. Why did Albert Einstein decline the presidency of Israel?

There are a few reasons that Einstein declined the offer to be the president of Israel. Firstly, he was already 73 years old at the time and felt that he was not physically or mentally fit for such a demanding role. Additionally, he was a pacifist and did not want to be associated with any political or military actions that may have been necessary in the role of president.

2. Was Albert Einstein offered the presidency of Israel?

Yes, Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel in 1952 by then-prime minister David Ben-Gurion. Ben-Gurion believed that Einstein's international reputation and Jewish heritage would make him an ideal candidate for the role.

3. Did Einstein have any ties to Israel?

Einstein did have ties to Israel, but not as strong as some other Jewish scientists and intellectuals of his time. He was a supporter of Zionism and believed in the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine, but he did not have any personal or familial connections to the country.

4. What did Einstein say about the offer to be president of Israel?

In his response to Ben-Gurion's offer, Einstein wrote, "I am deeply moved by the offer from our State of Israel, and at once saddened and ashamed that I cannot accept it." He went on to explain his reasons for declining the role.

5. Who became the president of Israel instead of Einstein?

The offer to Einstein was ultimately declined, and Chaim Weizmann, a chemist and Zionist leader, became the first president of Israel. Weizmann had previously been the president of the World Zionist Organization and had played a significant role in the establishment of the state of Israel.