Eigenvalue method for homogeneous eq's

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of an eigenvector using the eigenvalue lambda = 3-4i. After substituting, the eigenvector V was found to be [1 i]. The conversation also mentioned discrepancies between the equations derived and those in the book, specifically the use of "+" instead of "-" in the book's equations. Further clarification is needed to identify where the sign was dropped.
cue928
I am working on a problem and before I post the remaining questions on it, I want to be sure I calculated the eigenvector correctly. The eigenvalue I used was lambda = 3-4i.

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} 3-lambda & -4\\ 4 & 3-lambda\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
After substituting, the eigenvector I came up with is V = [1 i]

Physics news on Phys.org
cue928 said:
I am working on a problem and before I post the remaining questions on it, I want to be sure I calculated the eigenvector correctly. The eigenvalue I used was lambda = 3-4i.

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} 3-lambda & -4\\ 4 & 3-lambda\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
After substituting, the eigenvector I came up with is V = [1 i]

Fine so far.

Okay, so I have V = [1 i] and lambda = 3-4i
I came up with the following eq's that differed from the book only in the signs I placed in quotation marks...
x1(t) = e^3t[C1 cos(4t) "-" C2 sin(4t)]
x2(t) = e^3t[C1 cos(4t) "-" C2 sin(4t)]

In both cases, the book uses a "+" instead. But, I can't figure out where I dropped the sign.

Related to Eigenvalue method for homogeneous eq's

What is the Eigenvalue method for homogeneous equations?

The Eigenvalue method is a mathematical technique used to solve a system of homogeneous equations. It involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which can then be used to determine the solution to the system of equations.

How does the Eigenvalue method work?

The first step in the Eigenvalue method is to find the eigenvalues of the coefficient matrix. Then, using these eigenvalues, the corresponding eigenvectors are determined. Finally, the solution to the system of equations is found by combining the eigenvectors with a constant that is determined by the initial conditions of the system.

What are the advantages of using the Eigenvalue method?

The Eigenvalue method is advantageous because it can be used to solve systems of equations with any number of variables, making it applicable to a wide range of problems. It is also relatively easy to implement and can provide accurate solutions.

Are there any limitations to the Eigenvalue method?

While the Eigenvalue method is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to solve linear systems of equations, and it may not always provide a unique solution. Additionally, finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be computationally intensive for larger matrices.

How is the Eigenvalue method used in real-world applications?

The Eigenvalue method has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to model systems that involve multiple variables and can help predict how these systems will behave over time. For example, it can be used to analyze the stability of a mechanical system or to predict future stock prices.