Differential equations with eigenvalues.

I.E for ## \lambda = 4## I'd use the matrix ## \begin{bmatrix}2 & -3 \\2 & -3\end{bmatrix} ## and multiple it by ##\begin{bmatrix}3 \\2\end{bmatrix} ## to get ##\begin{bmatrix}6+-6 \\6+-6\end{bmatrix} ## = ##\begin{bmatrix}0 \\0\end{bmatrix} ## Thus it works.Yes, that's correct.
WendysRules

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of the given differential equations: ## \frac{dx}{dt} =
\begin{bmatrix}
6 & -3 \\
2 & 1
\end{bmatrix} x ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, we just take the determinate of A-I##\lambda## and set it equal to 0 to get the eigenvalues of 3, and 4. Then, we plug our eigenvalues one at a time into A-I##\lambda## and solve it to equal the 0 vector.

For 3, I get ##
\begin{bmatrix}
3 & -3 \\
2 & -2
\end{bmatrix} ## Which implies that ##x_1 = x_2## so I can just pick
##\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## to be my vector? This is the part I am confused about, I'm not sure that's what I actually do! Do I just say for ##\lambda## = 3, my solution is ## e^{3t} \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

Similarly for ##\lambda = 4 ## i find my matrix to be
##
\begin{bmatrix}
2 & -3 \\
2 & -3
\end{bmatrix} ## which i see that ##2x_1=3x_2## this, i can just pick
##\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## Thus, my solution for ##\lambda = 4## is just ##e^{4t}
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

Thanks for all the help, I'm just unsure this is the method I should be going about to solve these types of problems! (Also, if anyone knows of an algebraic calculator in which I could check my solutions for these types of problems, I would also appreciate that)

Physics news on Phys.org
WendysRules said:

Homework Statement

\begin{bmatrix}
6 & -3 \\
2 & 1
\end{bmatrix} x ##

Homework Equations

So, we just take the determinate determinant of A-I##\lambda## and set it equal to 0 to get the eigenvalues of 3 and 4. Then, we plug our eigenvalues one at a time into A-I##\lambda## and solve it to equal the 0 vector.

For 3, I get ##
\begin{bmatrix}
3 & -3 \\
2 & -2
##\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## to be my vector? This is the part I'm confused about. I'm not sure that's what I actually do! Do I just say for ##\lambda## = 3, my solution is ## e^{3t} \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix}##
Yup, that's right.

##
\begin{bmatrix}
2 & -3 \\
2 & -3
##\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##
You got the 2 and 3 backwards.

Thanks for all the help, I'm just unsure this is the method I should be going about to solve these types of problems! (Also, if anyone knows of an algebraic calculator in which I could check my solutions for these types of problems, I would also appreciate that)
So now that you have to two solutions, what's the general solution?

WendysRules said:

Homework Statement

\begin{bmatrix}
6 & -3 \\
2 & 1
\end{bmatrix} x ##

Homework Equations

So, we just take the determinate of A-I##\lambda## and set it equal to 0 to get the eigenvalues of 3, and 4. Then, we plug our eigenvalues one at a time into A-I##\lambda## and solve it to equal the 0 vector.

For 3, I get ##
\begin{bmatrix}
3 & -3 \\
2 & -2
##\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## to be my vector? This is the part I am confused about, I'm not sure that's what I actually do! Do I just say for ##\lambda## = 3, my solution is ## e^{3t} \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

##
\begin{bmatrix}
2 & -3 \\
2 & -3
##\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
\begin{bmatrix}
2 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

You are correct.

However, when in doubt, check to see if your alleged "solutions" actually satisfy the DE---a step you should always do, anyway, as part of good working practice.

What you want to do is merge those two eigenvectors into a matrix, and left-multiply it by the solution to the diagonal system of differential equations to get the general solution for your original matrix.

vela said:
So now that you have to two solutions, what's the general solution?

Should just be the two of the added together? So, ## x(t) = C_1 e^{3t} \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} + C_2 e^{4t}
\begin{bmatrix}
3 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## where C is a constant.

Ray Vickson said:
However, when in doubt, check to see if your alleged "solutions" actually satisfy the DE---a step you should always do, anyway, as part of good working practice.

Do I check them vs the original equations, or just the new "eigenedited" matrices? I.E for ## \lambda = 4## I'd use the matrix ##
\begin{bmatrix}
2 & -3 \\
2 & -3
\end{bmatrix} ## and multiple it by
##\begin{bmatrix}
3 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## to get
##\begin{bmatrix}
6+-6 \\
6+-6
\end{bmatrix} ## =
##\begin{bmatrix}
0 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## Thus it works.

WendysRules said:
Should just be the two of the added together? So, ## x(t) = C_1 e^{3t} \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
\end{bmatrix} + C_2 e^{4t}
\begin{bmatrix}
3 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## where C is a constant.
Yes, that's correct.

Do I check them vs the original equations, or just the new "eigenedited" matrices?
You want to see if your solution ##x(t)## satisfies the differential equation, so plug it into the differential equation.

Related to Differential equations with eigenvalues.

1. What are eigenvalues in differential equations?

Eigenvalues in differential equations are values that satisfy a specific equation called the characteristic equation. These values are important because they represent the growth or decay rates of a system in a differential equation.

2. How are eigenvalues used in solving differential equations?

Eigenvalues are used to find the general solution of a system of differential equations. By finding the eigenvalues, we can then find the corresponding eigenvectors, which are used to construct the general solution.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues in differential equations?

Eigenvalues play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and stability of a system in a differential equation. They can determine if a system is stable, unstable, or oscillating, and can also be used to predict the long-term behavior of a system.

4. Can all differential equations be solved using eigenvalues?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using eigenvalues. Some equations are not linear or do not have constant coefficients, making it difficult to find eigenvalues. However, many important systems in physics, engineering, and economics can be solved using eigenvalues.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differential equations with eigenvalues?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of differential equations with eigenvalues. They are commonly used in physics to model the behavior of systems such as circuits, pendulums, and chemical reactions. They are also used in economics to analyze market equilibria and population growth. In engineering, eigenvalues are used to study the stability and control of systems such as bridges and airplanes.