Egypt Army gives Morsi a 48hr ultimatum

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Army
In summary, Facebook said there were 33 million Egyptians out in a huff today. A picture of an Egyptian wearing a "USA" hat is worth a thousand words. I hope they have better luck this time.
Yikes, things are heating back up in Egypt.

Egypt's armed forces handed Islamist President Mohamed Mursi a virtual ultimatum to share power on Monday, giving feuding politicians 48 hours to compromise or have the army impose its own roadmap for the country.

A dramatic military statement broadcast on state television declared the nation was in danger after millions of Egyptians took to the streets on Sunday to demand that Mursi quit and the headquarters of the ruling Muslim Brotherhood were ransacked.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/01/us-egypt-protests-idUSBRE95Q0NO20130701

Physics news on Phys.org
It would appear that the concepts of the Muslem Brotherhood towards democracy and their flavour of a national constitution has tranlated into a 'dislike' click from the general population. A classic example of a stupid person and even dumber group acquiring power, with the assumption that they are the only ones with knowledge on how to move forward. Squander what good will they ever did have for promotion of idealism, at the expense of economics.
I say good for the army and their support given to the Egyptian population.

The majority of the people did not seem to want the Muslim Brotherhood to take control, IIRC. I just hope that the takeover by the people again does not become a war.

Evo said:
The majority of the people did not seem to want the Muslim Brotherhood to take control, IIRC. I just hope that the takeover by the people again does not become a war.

I can't see Morsi stepping down. If the military takes action, it will get nasty. I think the vote was near 50/50 too right? Pretty bleak.

Just hope that no extremist government is put into place, or the USA will have no choice but to once again step in.

Sometimes, I think we should just ourselves run their democracies for them: most Islamic countries just can't seem to do it themselves. Perhaps the next time we use military force to remove an evil regime, we can make the country our territory and run it in a manner that would actually improve the quality of lives of the citizens. I don't believe we should have ever given Iraq and Afghanistan back over to their elites, but kept these regions as our territory and then run it like we do our own nation. The people would be much better off.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Get your popcorn ready :(

Showdown? Egypt's Morsy defies military 'ultimatum'
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/meast/egypt-protests/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Facebook said there were 33 million Egyptians out in a huff today.

I googled the number of people in Egypt this afternoon. It was around 87 million.

I'd say there are a good number of Egyptians that are not happy.

hmm... What ever happened to AhmedEzz?

I much prefer the comments of people on the front line of reality.

OmCheeto said:
I much prefer the comments of people on the front line of reality.

I do too.

They seem to be turning very anti-American and anti-President Obama because of our support of the current Government.

Last edited by a moderator:
Egyptian army ousts Morsi, suspend constitution
http://www.france24.com/en/20130703...rsi-deadline-looms-tahrir-protests-army-video

I hope they have better luck this time.

BORgWCbCAAAu5RL.jpg

At least it will be an example to the new president that if you lie and over reach your purpose there will be consequences.

nsaspook said:
I do too.

They seem to be turning very anti-American and anti-President Obama because of our support of the current Government.

Depends on who you talk to I suppose. The following image is from my previous link.

kids.jpg

A picture of an Egyptian wearing a "USA" hat is worth a thousand words.

nsaspook said:
I hope they have better luck this time.

They don't seem to be worried about it

Adal El-Bendary said:
We ousted one dictator and now we've ousted a second one. We'll do it again if necessary, we are experienced now ... This will be in the minds of the army or any politician in the future - they will not want to face the same destiny as Morsi or Mubarak.

What did we say when this happened before? "Today, we are all Egyptians"

I suppose, today, we are all Egyptians, again. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
At least it will be an example to the new president that if you lie and over reach your purpose there will be consequences.

That's the message I took from Adal's comment.

Here's another comment from someone on the front line:

Ashraf el-Sherif said:
We cannot talk about constitutional correctness as we are on the threshold of a new corrected revolutionary roadmap. Egypt's future remains open: a democracy can happen, but so can an autocracy. The roadmap will bear many flaws and problems, but protesters have also learned many lessons.

AhmedEzz attended that University, last we heard from him. I hope he is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
What did we say when this happened before? "Today, we are all Egyptians"
Ivan seeking said that and it cracked me up. Uhm, no, were not. :rolleyes: It just struck me as being incredibly meaningless. Did he also say "Today we're all Libyans", or today we are all "insert coup of the day"? We have no idea what they're going through. We have no idea what they really think.

Of course, Obama could go to Cairo and say - وأنا القاهري

:-p

Evo said:
Ivan seeking said that and it cracked me up. Uhm, no, were not. :rolleyes: It just struck me as being incredibly meaningless. Did he also say "Today we're all Libyans", or today we are all "insert coup of the day"? We have no idea what they're going through. We have no idea what they really think.
Libya was yesterday, or was that Syria? But today is a different country.

Evo said:
We have no idea what they're going through. We have no idea what they really think.

There you go again, Evo, preferring sanity and reason over blather. :smile:

Likes 1 person
nsaspook said:
Having sanity and reason in Middle Eastern politics would be refreshing.

Indeed, but I think that's beyond even Evo's powers.

phinds said:
There you go again, Evo, preferring sanity and reason over blather. :smile:

poop.

Am I blathering again?

:redface:

OmCheeto said:
poop.

Am I blathering again?

:redface:
{{{Om}}}

Evo said:
Ivan seeking said that and it cracked me up. Uhm, no, were not. :rolleyes: It just struck me as being incredibly meaningless.
Meaningless? Moral support is never meaningless.
Did he also say "Today we're all Libyans", or today we are all "insert coup of the day"?
They didn't have "like" or "thanks" buttons in the olden days.
We have no idea what they're going through. We have no idea what they really think.
I've forgotten to pick up ground roast for the last 3 days. The stores are not yet open, and I'm drinking my post apocalypse, use only in case of emergency, stash of instant coffee. Don't tell me I don't know what they are going through...

On a more serious "things are heating up" note:

Hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood officials were also reported to have been arrested, with many senior leaders being held in the Torah prison in Cairo - the same prison holding Hosni Mubarak, who was himself deposed in the 2011 revolution.

Eventually, they will figure out that pointing fingers at others, and throwing them in jail, will not solve their problems.

That Jelly Donut Guy said:
The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it — and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. And so, my fellow Egyptians: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country

Last edited:
Evo said:

I have a feeling that the Egyptians are feeling something like this:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

chemisttree said:
I have a feeling that the Egyptians are feeling something like this:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Do you REALLY think that the millions of Islamists in Egypt think that? I hope more Egyptians do think that way than don't but "the Egyptians" are a diverse lot.

phinds said:
Do you REALLY think that the millions of Islamists in Egypt think that? I hope more Egyptians do think that way than don't but "the Egyptians" are a diverse lot.
I absolutely do. I think they will confirm that belief in the coming weeks when they begin their effort to establish a government to protect their safety and happiness.

chemisttree said:
I absolutely do. I think they will confirm that belief in the coming weeks when they begin their effort to establish a government to protect their safety and happiness.

Islamists believe that all men are created equal? You've got to be kidding. You really think they see "non-believers" as equal ?

All men are born equal according to Islam.

chemisttree said:
All men are born equal according to Islam.
Except non-believers (and of course women).

Qur'an 8:39-40--Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme. If they desist, God is cognizant of all their actions; but if they give no heed, know then that God will protect you

Qur'an 9:29--Fight those who do not believe in God or the last day, and do not hold forbidden that which was forbidden by God and His Apostle, or acknowledge the religion of truth (even if they are) of the people of the book, until they pay jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

But we've gone off topic, this is about the army deposing Mursi.

Evo said:
Except non-believers (and of course women).

Evo, you're doing it again :smile:

Astronuc said:
Libya was yesterday, or was that Syria? But today is a different country.
Syria is still tomorrow.

hmmm... I think it would be really cool if one of the oldest nations, and one of the youngest nations, could both blow up billions of dollars worth of fireworks, on the same day. I think that would be really cool.

On the other hand, there should be a (sharia?) law that says they have to stop at 10 pm, when the 4th falls on a Thursday, and Om draws the short straw...

----------------------
and has to work in the morning...
gosh darned kids nowadays!

A very recent post from a FB friend:

my.lady.friend.in.Abu.Dhabi.jpg

silly girl...

Egypt will be the same as it was yesterday and the same as it will be tomorrow.
The people wanted some representation from the government, after the first series of protests a few years ago, and were not to be dismissed as pathetic sheep to be led around by the nose. Mursi did not understand that.

The army disposed him to save the country from what could have developed into more mayhem and claches between different factions. Remember that the protests started before the ultimatium from the army, and it was not the army as the instigator in all of this.

If the economic interests of the people had been put ahead of the Brotherhoods' then this second removal of a leader would not have happened, so Mursi was just a complete bonehead for not making a compromise in politics. It seems that even if he was elected, he reverted back to the dictatorial style of leadership that is customary and engrained into the cultural phychic of these type of people that seek authority and absolute authority.

256bits said:
If the economic interests of the people had been put ahead of the Brotherhoods' then this second removal of a leader would not have happened, so Mursi was just a complete bonehead for not making a compromise in politics. It seems that even if he was elected, he reverted back to the dictatorial style of leadership that is customary and engrained into the cultural phychic of these type of people that seek authority and absolute authority.

Bingo! Good ideology (from a Muslim Egyptian point of view) isn't enough if the leaders aren't actually good at running a country. I think they would have been better off just waiting until the next election, though. Or do what we do in the US - have recall elections and impeachments (not something I generally consider a good option, but certainly better than the option they chose).

I think we've seen the same problems before with Palestinians. One group that offered some hope of peace, but horrible at the day to day duties of government and one group officially considered a terrorist group, but half decent at the day to day duties of government. They chose the group that could actually run a government (with bad results, since Israel was never going to deal with Hamas).

Competence is a pretty important characteristic for an administration to have. Good intentions just aren't enough.

Evo said:

I thought the Muslim Brotherhood was popular, they did win more than 40% of the seats in parliament and their biggest rival was the even more radical Islamist Bloc.

aquitaine said:
I thought the Muslim Brotherhood was popular, they did win more than 40% of the seats in parliament and their biggest rival was the even more radical Islamist Bloc.
IIRC, the votes were questioned as to whether they were real or fraud.

But as 256bits posted, no matter, it was what they and Mursi did after the election that was wrong.

The Egyptian professional military (most with US training) has seen the disastrous results of strict religious rule in Iran on their counterparts from 1979 to the present, the Islamist military power grab in places like Turkey and will not repeat that mistake again. IMO a pure Islamist government is incompatible with Western-style democracy, fundamental human rights and what's most important to them, a strict military chain of command with military leaders at the top. In most Islamic country's with the facade of democracy the (fundamentally pro-secular) military actually controls the power strings and if we see "democracy" in Egypt it will be a puppet controlled by them as usual.

486x600.jpg