Efficiently Manufacture 3.0kg of Ice Cubes: Calculating Minimum Work

In summary, the minimum work required to manufacture 3.0kg of ice cubes from water initially at 0C is 111.7kJ. This is calculated using the coefficient of performance (COP) formula, which takes into account the efficiency of the machine and the temperature difference between the cold and hot reservoirs. Despite initial calculations suggesting a work of 100.6kJ, this is incorrect as it does not consider the efficiency of the machine. The correct calculation involves dividing the useful output (3.0kg of ice) by the efficiency, resulting in a work of 111.7kJ.
CartoonKid
Calculate the minimum work required to manufacture 3.0kg of ice cubes from water initially at 0C. Assume that the surroundings are at 30C. The latent heat of fusion of water at 0C is 338.7kJ/kg.

My working:
[tex]e=1-\frac{273}{303}[/tex]
then
[tex]e=\frac{work}{input}[/tex]
[tex]input=(3.0)(338.7E3)[/tex]
[tex]work=100.6kJ[/tex]

But I saw the other answer from someone that it is 117.1kJ. Which one is the correct answer? Is my answer correct? If not, please rectify for me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all efficiency=1-T2/T1*100%=1-273/303*100%=9.9%
Then efficiency=usefuloutput/Inputbythemachine=(3*338700)/input
So
work needed as I calculated is 102.64KJ AND you are both wrong (if I am not wrong...)
Thats because what you have to calculate is the input the machine needs since it has the given efficiency to make it out to create ice cubes or whatever...

Now I have got the way of how the other answer was being worked out.
[tex]COP=\frac{Q_{cold}}{Work}[/tex]
[tex]COP=\frac{T_{cold}}{T_{hot}-T_{cold}}[/tex]
After sub in all the values,
[tex]Work=\frac{(3.0)(338.7E3)}{9.1}[/tex]
and the answer appears to be 111.7kJ (sorry, typo error in the first post)
ColdRifle, I don't understand why you sub in (3.0)(338.7E3) as your usefuloutput. Isn't that eff=work/input for carnot cycle?

Related to Efficiently Manufacture 3.0kg of Ice Cubes: Calculating Minimum Work

1. How is ice made?

Ice is made by freezing water at a temperature below its freezing point, which is typically 0°C (32°F). This can be achieved by using a refrigeration system or by placing water in a freezer.

2. What is the process of ice manufacturing?

The process of ice manufacturing involves purifying water, filtering it to remove impurities, and then freezing it in a controlled environment. The frozen water is then shaved or crushed into ice cubes or other desired shapes.

3. How long does it take to make ice?

The time it takes to make ice depends on the size of the ice cubes and the temperature of the freezing environment. Generally, it takes about 3-4 hours to freeze a tray of ice cubes in a home freezer, but industrial ice machines can produce ice in as little as 20 minutes.

4. What are the common uses of manufactured ice?

Manufactured ice has a variety of uses, including cooling drinks, preserving food, and creating artificial snow. It is also used in industries such as fishing, agriculture, and healthcare.

5. Is manufactured ice safe to consume?

Yes, manufactured ice is safe to consume as long as it is made from clean and purified water. Ice manufacturing facilities are required to follow strict guidelines and regulations to ensure the safety of their ice products.