Thermodynamics ice cube problem

In summary, the problem involves dropping two 32 g ice cubes into 170 g of water at an initial temperature of 27°C. The ice cubes come directly from a freezer at -13°C. The goal is to find the final temperature at thermal equilibrium and also the final temperature if only one ice cube is used. Using the equations Q = cm(delta T) and Q = Lm, where c is specific heat, T is the change in temperature, m is the mass of the object, and L is the heat of fusion or vaporization, the attempt at a solution involved calculating the heat needed to warm up the ice, adding the heat of fusion, and then calculating the heat needed to warm up the melted ice to the final
Jeffopolis
First of all, hi, and thanks ahead of time... I've been working on this homework for almost a week, even asked the teacher for help but still haven't been able to figure out what I've been doing wrong/missing. its online work so ill copy paste it

Homework Statement

(a) Two 32 g ice cubes are dropped into 170 g of water in a thermally insulated container. If the water is initially at 27°C, and the ice comes directly from a freezer at -13°C, what is the final temperature (in Celsius) at thermal equilibrium? (b) What is the final temperature if only one ice cube is used? The specific heat of water is 4186 J/kg·K. The specific heat of ice is 2220 J/kg·K. The latent heat of fusion is 333 kJ/kg.

Homework Equations

Q = cm(delta T)
Q = Lm

where c = specific heat, T = change in temp, m = mass of object, L = heat of fusion/vaporization

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a few questions that are similar but i think if i can solve one, then I'd be able to solve the others... I am not going to paste all my attempts because it'd take up 4 pages but ill summarize what i did

basically i know that:

0 = Q1 + Q2 + ... + Qn for all objects, since its in equilibrium/isolated location...

I'm assuming that there being 2 ice cubes, there will be 3 Q's

Q1 = water, cm(delta T) = 4186 * 170g * (Tfinal - 27)
Q2 = ice, cm(delta T) + heat of fusion?? [this part I am not sure if I am doing right] --- cm(delta T) + Lm = 2220 * 32 * (Tfinal +13) + 333 * 32
Q3 = same as Q2

adding em together and what not, i get:

Tfinal = (18279564 / 782660) = ~20.2ish... all my answers have been between like 20-20.5 for A and about 23 for B, neither of which have been right (there is a +/- 1 degree of error for part B, A must be exact)

Umm i have one more attempt to get the right answer on this one so yea... any help is greatly appreciated. It's due sunday and i have a gig tomorrow and sunday so whatever help i can get as soon as possible would be amazing

thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeffopolis said:
Q2 = ice, cm(delta T) + heat of fusion?? [this part I am not sure if I am doing right] --- cm(delta T) + Lm = 2220 * 32 * (Tfinal +13) + 333 * 32
You can not jump from the initial temperature of the ice at the final temperature. The ice melts at 0°C, When melted, it is 0°C water, of mass equal to that of the ice, C the same as that of water.. So you calculate the heat needed to warm up the ice, add the heat of fusion, then add the heat to warm up the mass of water which was originally ice from 0°C to the final temperature.

Take care of the units. The specific heat capacities and the heat of fusion refer to 1 kg. You have to transform the mass values to kg-s first.ehild

so from what you said here's what I am getting:

C ice * M ice * (0 - [-13]) + L * M ice + C ice * M ice * (Tfinal - 0)

[heat to ice] + (heat of fusion) + [heat to melted ice] ?

and you do that with both cubes of ice?

edit: i just tried that and got the same answer (T0 = 0 duh lol)... can u help me with the equation please? that's where I'm having all the problem i think I am forgetting about something or not implementing some formula or something

edit2: ohhhh wait i was using the specific heat for the ice again on the second part. let me use the water's heat and see what happens.

edit3: bah nope was still wrong... the right answers were 0 for part A and 9 for part B... i still have no idea how those numbers were obtained tho... can't submit the correct work but if someone could show me how to get the right answer that'd be dope

Last edited:
It is not sure that the warm water can melt all the ice or even to warm it to the melting point. First calculate how much heat energy the warm water has above 0°C. Then find out how much heat is needed to warm up the ice to 0°C. If it is less than the heat "on store", you have 0°C ice and some heat. Next calculate how much heat is needed to melt the ice, and see if the remainder of the heat from the water is enough to that. If not, the final temperature is 0°C . If you have some heat left after all ice melted you have water to warm up.You will see that the warm water can melt one ice cube, but cannot melt two cubes.

ehild

ehild said:
If it is less than the heat "on store", you have 0°C ice and some heat.

I don't understand that part, how do you determine if it isn't enough?

using this example, Q for the ice to 0 degrees is 1847040J (for both ice cubes), and Q for the water is 19213740J from 27 to 0 degrees

How do you determine if that is enough heat or not enough heat? Or is my math wrong?

Your Q values are wrong. The specific heat capacities refer to 1 kg mass. Transform the mass values to kg.
The heat available from the warm water is somewhat more than the heat needed to warm up two cubes of ice. After the ice warmed up, there is some heat available to melt some. (How much?) How much heat is necessary to melt all the 0.064 kg ice? Take care of the units: The latent heat is given in kJ/kg.

ehild

Related to Thermodynamics ice cube problem

1. How does an ice cube melting in a glass of water demonstrate the principles of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and how it moves and changes form. When an ice cube is placed in a glass of water, the ice cube begins to melt because heat energy from the water is transferring to the ice. This demonstrates the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.

2. Why does the temperature of the water decrease when an ice cube is added?

The temperature of the water decreases because the ice cube is absorbing heat energy from the water in order to melt. This process is known as an endothermic reaction, where energy is absorbed from the surroundings in order for a substance to change state.

3. How does the melting of an ice cube affect the overall energy of the system?

The melting of an ice cube does not change the overall energy of the system, as the energy is conserved according to the first law of thermodynamics. The energy that is absorbed by the ice cube is equal to the energy that is released by the water, resulting in no net change in energy.

4. What factors affect the rate at which an ice cube melts in water?

The rate at which an ice cube melts in water is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the water, the temperature of the surroundings, the surface area of the ice cube, and the presence of any impurities in the water. Higher temperatures and larger surface areas will result in a faster melting rate, while the presence of impurities can slow down the process.

5. How does the second law of thermodynamics apply to the melting of an ice cube in water?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. In the case of an ice cube melting in water, the ice cube is a more ordered state than the liquid water, so as the ice melts and increases the disorder of the system, the total entropy increases. This process is spontaneous and irreversible, as it follows the natural direction of increasing disorder.